1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Did I make a good choice?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nixion, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Nixion

Nixion Thread Starter

Well I just ordered a Radeon 9800SE (yes I know its a SE card so I don't expcet the same performance as a Pro) off from newegg.com and was just making sure if this card was any good. I read some pretty good reviews about it but i'm just making sure with you guys. Thanks for any input.

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Omega drivers have an option to "mod" and if ATI hasn't figured out a way to block it they will open your card to pro specs.

3. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

4. joythompson

joythompson

Yeah, Its not a bad card I had a sapphire 9800SE couldnt soft mod it, got the checkerboard effect. Still it played UT2004 at a decent resolution, struggled a bit with half life 2 at times but got through it.

Generally though alright, did get one of those artic coolers for it, the cooling it had looked a bit feeble, then clocked it up a bit got to about 420 mhz on the rivatuner. It did fine at stock speeds, so dunno why I bothered really...

Meh, because its there :p

5. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

What is this checkerboard effect you speak of. I'll start a new thread but i think i have this issue and its a graphics card problem.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Generally its from modding a card. For example if you soft-modded the 9800SE you would be enabling 4 pipelines on the card. If there was something wrong with these you commonly get a checkerboard pattern.

7. joythompson

joythompson

Thats pretty much it, looks like a normal desktop just all checkered.

If the softmod dosnt work, because the pipelines are damaged, you can uninstall the old mod drivers for it and replace the stock ones and your away again.

Or I was anyway, was worth a try at anyrate.

If you do give it a go though you'll definatly need some better cooling than whats usually standard on the 9800SE and I'm not sure weather if using the non standard drivers invalidates whatever warranty there might be on the card.

Somthing to think about.

8. Nixion

Nixion Thread Starter

ok, thanks everyone

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!