1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Did Jesus rise from the dead or Not

Discussion in 'Controversial Topics' started by rexgrant, Mar 9, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. rexgrant

rexgrant Thread Starter

Did Jesus Rise From the Dead?

We all wonder what will happen to us after we die. When a loved one dies, do we think we will meet again, or is death the end of all consciousness?

Jesus taught that life does not end after our bodies die. He made this startling claim: “I am the resurrection and the life. Those who believe in me, even though they die like everyone else, will live again.” According to the eyewitnesses closest to him, Jesus then demonstrated his power over death by rising from the dead after being crucified and buried for three days. It is this belief that has given hope to Christians for nearly 2000 years.

But some people have no hope of life after death. The atheistic philosopher Bertrand Russell wrote, “I believe that when I die I shall rot, and nothing of my own ego will survive.Russell obviously didn’t believe Jesus’ words.

Jesus’ followers wrote that he appeared alive to them after his crucifixion and burial. They claim not only to have seen him but also to have eaten with him, touched him, and spent 40 days with him.

So could this have been simply a story that grew over time, or is it based upon solid evidence? The answer to this question is foundational to Christianity. For if Jesus did rise from the dead, it would validate everything he said about himself, about the meaning of life, and about our destiny after death.

If Jesus did rise from the dead then he alone would have the answers to what life is about and what is facing us after we die. On the other hand, if the resurrection account of Jesus is not true, then Christianity would be founded upon a lie. Theologian R. C. Sproul puts it this way:

The claim of resurrection is vital to Christianity. If Christ has been raised from the dead by God, then He has the credentials and certification that no other religious leader possesses.

All other religious leaders are dead, but, according to Christianity, Christ is alive.

Many skeptics have attempted to disprove the resurrection. Josh McDowell was one such skeptic who spent more than seven hundred hours researching the evidence for the resurrection. McDowell stated this regarding the importance of the resurrection:

I have come to the conclusion that the resurrection of Jesus Christ is one of the most wicked, vicious, heartless hoaxes ever foisted upon the minds of men, OR it is the most fantastic fact of history. McDowell later wrote his classic work, The New Evidence That Demands A Verdict, documenting what he discovered.

So, is Jesus’ resurrection a fantastic fact or a vicious myth? To find out, we need to look at the evidence of history and draw our own conclusions. Let’s see what our Tec Support Guy skeptics can suggest on the resurrection and what they have discovered for themselves.

My own opinion gatherd over the last 60years, since my Sunday school teachings stoped makeing sence to me,. Is a definate NO in my oppinion.

Regard

Rex

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
  3. rexgrant

rexgrant Thread Starter

Due to my hearing Disorder I could not understand what that person was talking about on the link :D Was it a sarcastic reply, an helpfull reply or just another addition to you post coun t;)

Best Regards
    Rex.

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Too bad you can't hear it, I think it's an interesting message.
    What's not in the video ... If Steve wasn't a Christian/Pastor, He would not have survived a Widow Maker last December.
    But he's still with us as if nothing happened.

5. rexgrant

rexgrant Thread Starter

Hi again.
    Yes I have been away from Tec Support Guy. Due to illness and the inabillity to comunicate Logicaly when the Dementia throws in;) But I am now Midway Through the Disease with no prognosis how fast it may develop :eek: But I am not on my own Half the western world over 60 as probebly got it in the early stages and my specalist MD as said keep useing it Rex or you will loose it faster .So I am back on here were you must use it or pay the consequences :D and also Flying FSX around the UK :)
    Best regards
    Rex.

6. Brigham

Brigham

First Name:
    John
    Dementia is a very nasty illness, not just for the sufferer. It is heart breaking for the relatives. I read an interesting piece on the Alzheimer's Society website, implicating smoking. Smokers are twice as likely to develop the disease than non smokers. Back to your topic. It is my opinion that all religions were invented to keep the masses under control. Typical carrot and stick. Do what we tell you, and eternal life (carrot). Failure to obey us and pay us, eternal damnation (stick). Throw in a bit of magic (miracles and resurrection) Complete control, until with greater knowledge, people began to realise what a con it all was.

7. rexgrant

rexgrant Thread Starter

Back to your topic. It is my opinion that all religions were invented to keep the masses under control. Typical carrot and stick. Do what we tell you, and eternal life (carrot). Failure to obey us and pay us, eternal damnation (stick). Throw in a bit of magic (miracles and resurrection) Complete control, until with greater knowledge, people began to realise what a con it all was.

Yes those are my beliefs 100% And was the general opinion of the atheists back then. I just wondered if new members had discust it and what opinions they had come up with.
    Thank for the reply
    Regards
    Rex.

8. whitefaze13

whitefaze13

Whether you believe or not. There is some things to take into mind. I'm taking this information from a book I've been reading, on skeptics by a man named Charlie Campbell. Recommended!!

"Here are a few quick reasons we can be sure. First, Christianity turned the world upside down 2000 years ago, beginning in the very city where the people demanded Jesus' crucifixion and where Jesus was publicly crucified and buried. The best explanation for the sudden death of Christianity and its phenomenal growth is that Jesus really did rise from the dead.

Second, the early Christians were willing to suffer agonizing martydoms in order to testify the Jesus was alive. The best explanation for their boldness and willingness to die was that they really did see Jesus alive after His crucifixion (1 Corinithians 15:3-7) Nobody is willingly and knowingly dies for a lie.

Third, the Old Testament prophesied that the Messiah would rise from the dead (psalm 16:10), and the New Testament says that Jesus did rise from the dead (matthew 28:6). Hundreds of prophecies, thousands of arhaelogical discoveries, and dozens of external sources (such as Flavious Josephus) have established the fact that the Bible is, at a bare minimum, a historically accurate book." - Charlie Campbell

I've been in a state like you one time as well. But you need to keep in mind, no one simply dies for a lie, willingly and knowingly. The disciples died for him knowing what they saw, and willingly to do so, because the evidence of Jesus, was in fact how He rose again.

9. rexgrant

rexgrant Thread Starter

Hi WF13
    We all have a right to our Opinions. What I have read and witnessed about the Christian religion and their writeing and records, as lead me to beleve that the holyman called Jesus could not return from the dead.Nothing returns fron prolonged death of three days. Please tell me why the Cristian religion as fragmented into so many diferent versions of the same following?. The only posible answer to the resurection is that Jesus was not Dead when taken from the cross? Once again that is just my opinion.

10. whitefaze13

whitefaze13

You are absolutely correct rexgrant. We are indeed entitled to our own opinions. My previous post, I never stated that you HAD to believe, but just some factual evidence from what I gathered. There are in fact many archaeological and written documents today that state the existence of the disciples and Jesus. Again, I'm not saying you have to believe this. Just take into mind, death. Even if you don't believe in an afterlife of heaven and hell. wouldn't you agree death is probably humanities number # 1 fear? It states Jesus was terrified, and all the disciples as well. That simply just being human, but they had faith and reassurance enough in Him, Jesus, that they'd die knowing what they saw as truth. Would you be willing to die for a lie? or perhaps die with second thoughts? I personally, can't say if I'd honestly be strong enough in my faith, to undergo the punishments that they went through, believing in Jesus. That takes guts and alot of faith. As for evidence of his resurrection, it is indeed a very debatable topic for anyone. The one proof you can find is from documents and archaeological discoveries by scientists, that very plainly state both Jesus's life growing up, his death on the Cross, and also witnessing of him being alive 3 days later aka Resurrection. Again, this is probably not enough for you to believe, as I unfortunately do not have access to all the answers. That's where faith comes into play. Thought, I'd give my 2 bits a try. If you still aren't convinced, that is your opinion and I will respect your opinion.

11. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    Life is Temporary....No matter how you defend the end...:confused:

12. rexgrant

rexgrant Thread Starter

Hi again WF13.
    People have given their life for others and causes for as long a records have existed. For Love. to protect.to save. and for whatever reson an indiviual may think it it worth giveing is life for. We often read of holy men, of other faiths setting themselve on fire. The list is endless. But we now live in a very clever world were many things that were wrote 2000 years ago have been proved not to be possible, Yes it is possible that the man jesus gave up is life for what he thought was needed and is follower were also preperd to follow his lead. Just take the Charles Manson case as an example. (please note I am not stateing Manson was in the same profession as jesus ):eek:
    It would be nice to have a world that the whole world population would abide by some Moses's ten commandments, some of the new testiment text. and all the good writeing from accross the world ALAS we are what we are and always will be, Man as now made the laws Right or wrong they are what this over populated world must live by. not holy books .But for most
    Literate people of the world to-day Deep down they must realise nothing can rise up from the dead after three days as passed.
    Just my opinion
    Regards
    Rex.

13. AlomWare-com

AlomWare-com

Related question: how many people have willingly died for their belief in the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

14. Brigham

Brigham

First Name:
    John
    I had never heard of the flying spaghetti monster, so looked it up. I think that it just has the edge on christianity, and is much better than islam. I will die within the next thirty years and it will be for that religion, making me the first.

15. rexgrant

rexgrant Thread Starter

Well this Flying Spaghetti Monster as more meaning to some than the 969year old Methuselah.And he even failed to do the bidding of the GOD of the jew,christian and muslim as he said he created us to live forever , Must be a (hell):mad:of a big place,were were the bottom of our feet go, as man in all is forms on earth as been going there:rolleyes:for a long long time
    Regards
    Rex

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144458

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice