1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Did my graphics card die?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Watcheronthewall, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Watcheronthewall

Watcheronthewall Thread Starter

Having a major issue here...

I was playing Mass Effect 2 when the colors changed, the game stuttered, and then my PC crashed. I caught a glimpse of a pop up bubble before it shut off though, that said something about 'display' and 'disabled' (sorry, I didn't catch more than that [​IMG] )

It looks like my graphics card died or something... at first it would only boot up in to safe mode, so I uninstalled the display drivers, and I can get into my PC. If I reinstall the driver though, it freezes, and then reboots when I start up the PC. The BIOS screen is messed up too; words are jumbled, and there are random symbols all over the place. Some black screens before startup are covered in blue or red dots. I really have no idea what is wrong and I could really use some help.

My Specs:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT
    4GB RAM
    Intel Core2 Duo E6850 3.00GHz

If you need any other information, please let me know. I really appreciate any help.

Not sure if this helps, but this is the screen I get before the 'Starting Windows' screen: http://imgur.com/KMbCG.jpg

2. RogueSpear00

RogueSpear00

This sounds like a bad card, but I would open up your case, blow it all out - ensure that any fans are as free of dust as best possible.

3. Watcheronthewall

Watcheronthewall Thread Starter

Yeah I cleaned it out this morning just in case, but all the problems are still there. Is there a way to check and make sure it's definitely the card? It seems odd that the card would cause all the random letters and symbols to pop up in the BIOS page.

4. tundram

tundram

i have a friend who had the same card, and had very simular problems, can't install driver, odd things on screen, his fan was bad and from what i gather it's a overheating problem, as the card would get quite warm just running windows, there is an updated firmware for it, i forget the sight but i updated the firmware on the card and afterwards it would run alot cooler, but the damage was already done so had to trash the card. Maybe you can try the firmware update and see if it helps but i would guess it's a heat issue, seems a common prob with this card.

I fixed the fan and still would get quite warm until i updated the firmware for the card.

5. frankjohn

frankjohn

Does your motherboard have a on board video? If so plug the monitor into it

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915406

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice