1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Did my graphics card go out?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WulfSolaris, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WulfSolaris

WulfSolaris Thread Starter

SOLVED: Did a search on the forums for problems with graphics cards, and saw a post about how if the fan has any resistance when you try to manually move it, then your card is probably shot. Changed cards and everything started normally, so now all I've got to do is buy a new card. Thanks for the help, guys.

I'm using a nVidia GeForce 4 Ti4600 card. Last night, while playing a game (City of Heroes, in case that helps..), the screen suddenly became black and white squiggles and the computer wouldn't respond. I thought that perhaps it had just frozen, so I turned it off, gave it a sec to cool down, then tried to turn it back on.

However, didn't come back on. The green power light on my computer came on, and I could hear stuff inside whirring, but the amber light that usually means it's doing something only came on for about 10 seconds before shutting off. When you shut my computer off, my screen goes into power-save mode (I guess?) and the light on it turns amber. When the computer turns on, that light usually turns green, but it didn't after this.

Could my graphics card be the cause of all this? If it is, will I be able to replace it easily? Thanks ahead of time.

~Matt

2. brite750

brite750

Try booting into safe mode, if it works then, i mean graphics come on then i would suspect card. Try resetting your bios to default settings as well. From what you describe it does sound like video card problem, but they are not hard to replace.

3. WulfSolaris

WulfSolaris Thread Starter

How would I go about booting in safe mode when my screen won't even turn on? I know there's a button to press to get a little menu to pop up, but I'm not sure how I'd select Safe Mode without being able to see it. Heh.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271551

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice