1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Did one(or both) of my hard drives fail?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Empty2, Feb 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Empty2

Empty2 Thread Starter

I'm afraid my hard drive has failed but I'm not sure so maybe someone can help me. Today while I was editing a DVD project(using a program called MyDVD) and when I went to access some files for the project my hard drive started making this winding-click noise(like, it would go "wherrrrrr-click" over and over). My system locked up so I reset it. When my computer restarted it didn't detect my D drive(my second hard drive for storage). I thought maybe windows just screwed up or something so I shut my system off completely. Now when I restarted this time it went throught he DOS detection phase and didn't detect either of my drives... I pushed the reset button. This time it detected my C drive but still not my D drive. I shut windows down and took my D drive out and reset the jumpers on my C drive... this time same thing. It didn't detect my C drive until I pushed the reset button. Any idea what may have happened or how I could find a fix?

2. rockinmale

rockinmale

Hi empty2!

I hope i can help you with your situation.

First off, i like to say that those noises your hearing arent normal. I really cant tell you whether one of your hard drives is failing, but i can steer you in the right direction of diagnosing if one of your drives is on the way out.

First things first.....
    Find or download your utility/diagnostic disk for your hard drive. Whether it be WD, Maxtor, IBM, or Seagate. Next connect one drive at a time and boot the diagnostic disk. Run the extended test on the drive and see if it passes the test. Then go onto the next. If one is failing, this test should pick it up and give it an error code. If indeed one does fail contact the company and have the drive rma'd. That's if the drive is still under warranty.

If you have any other questions post back....
    Let us know what happens....
    Good luck!
    Rockinmale:cool:

3. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Before you do the diagnostics.. Backup your data. Quick.

Whrring..Clicking noises is an ominous sign of impending HDD death.

If you can get one or both to work, save your important data to CD immediately.

good luck.

4. Empty2

Empty2 Thread Starter

I can't even get access to my drive... my computer won't recognize it. I can get my C drive(which I have already backed up) but not my D drive. Just for curiosities sake, how much are some good data recovery places gonna charge if I need to go that route?

5. n2gun

n2gun

data recovery is real expensive. That is why you hear all the time- "Backup your data".

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The data is likely gone. There are a couple of tricks to try. One is to put the drive in the 'fridge for a few hours and then hook it up and immediately attempt to recover the data. Don't laugh, it's worked for me in the past. :)

7. Empty2

Empty2 Thread Starter

Seeing as how you says data recovery is real expensive... can anyone who has a trick put it up here? Anything that you think may work.

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

As an addition to what johnwill posted....I've let the drive cool down and have successfully booted to THAT drive......once it heated back up, same problem......might give you enough time....

9. rosh325

rosh325

If you're afraid of trying the fridge trick...a simple thing you can do is to open your case, and run a fan pointed directly at your HD...this has worked for me in the past and gave me enough time to burn data to CD....hope it works

10. Empty2

Empty2 Thread Starter

I'm trying the fridge thing... but I'm curious as to why this sometimes works. Anyone care to enlighten me?:confused:

11. memmiller

memmiller It's My Birthday!

there are some data recovery programs out on the retail market that can help you rescue information from the failed drives (providing that they aren't too far gone) they are a bit on the expensive side so it is critical to estimate the value of the information and go from there.

12. rmay635703

rmay635703

If your drives controller is fried you can replace it with one identical one from another identical brand and type of drive, assuming the mechanics in your drive work and aren't clicking, banging, no spin or anything else.

My engineering prof here on campus has a mini white room (box, with a filter/fan) that he has taken platters from a failed drive and transplanted them into another identical drive and recovered data.

Both are a pain and cost $$ as you have to find another drive just like the one you are using and you must risk damaging both.

Cheers

13. Empty2

Empty2 Thread Starter

Ok, the fridge thing actually made the noise worse sounding... any other thoughts before I go the way of a data recovery place?

14. rosh325

rosh325

try fan

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119653

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice