1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Did PSU 4 pin connectors change?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by minigunn, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. minigunn

minigunn Thread Starter

Hi guys - first post here so go easy on me. I recently had some trouble with the old Okidata 450 PSu in my P4 rig. So I went out and bought an xfinity ultra sli 600W, figuring that I could use it next time I build a new computer in about a year or so when the old one just seems too slow anymore. Long story short - the 4 pin connector was not the same as on the old power supply. The rounded and square "pegs" are not in the same places. So my question is: when did this change, and are the new mobos all like this? Or should I go on the xfinity site and choose a mobo that they call for? I had to put the old PSU back in for tonight, and I will probably go buy another older one tomorrow for the present rig. But for the next one, do all the boards use the new pin config?
    Thanks in advance,
    mini.
    (Board is Soyo P4vte on the machine that couldn't connect to the xfinity 600W.)

2. Elf-stone

Elf-stone

You're probably looking at the +4 plug that lets you use a motherboard that has a 24-pin power supply plug. It's square like the P4 power plug, but won't accidently fit into that socket. Look closely at all the plugs on the power supply, the P4 should be there.

3. minigunn

minigunn Thread Starter

Thanks - correct, I did not at first see that the 4 pin part of the 24 pin unit was not the connector to the power supply. However, when I did find the 8 pin one - that divides to 2 four pin ones - neither of the 4 pin ones would click into the 4 pin slot on the board. One of the 4 pin ones had the right combo of curved and sqare pins, and it would silde down, but not "seat" itself. Is it that the xfinity just doesn't work with my board? I'm nearly ready to toss the whole works in a bin and go shoping on evil bay!

4. Elf-stone

Elf-stone

Is this your power supply? http://www.xoxide.com/ultra-xfinity-600w-titanium.html

If it is, the stats show that is has a P4 as well as the P8 connector.

That PSU has so many connectors it must be a little confusing! :)
    They have not changed the P4 plugs, it's just a matter of finding the right one.

By the way, welcome to TSG

5. minigunn

minigunn Thread Starter

So i did have the right plug - but it wouldn't fit. I tried a low tech solution that actually worked. I took a tiny screw driver and opened up the sockets ever so slightly - then it did slide down and click in. But, unfortunately, my motherboard appears to be fried as nothing would power up. Brand new power supply, and the connections were correct. So now I have to decide if I want to put more cash in this older system or save for the new killer rig. Thanks for your imput, it helped.

6. Elf-stone

Elf-stone

Glad to help, and sorry about your mobo. (n)

If your motherboard is socket 775, you could get a replacement that can use the P4, but also run a Core 2 Duo or Quad for when you want to upgrade.

I suggest you read the sticky at the top of this forum about trouble-shooting. It's always possible that the motherboard isn't the problem.

Good luck.

7. minigunn

minigunn Thread Starter

According to the sticky, it is not most likely to be my motherboard. Hmm, now I'm a bit stumped. I'm not sure I can "short the power connector with a small screw driver" because the part is so tiny. I was hoping it would be the mobo since that would be cheap to replace on my old set up. I will have to think on this a bit.

8. minigunn

minigunn Thread Starter

WOOOOOO!!! I tried it just like the sticky said, and it worked. I love this site! So now, I have to figure out why, after a year and a half, I got a short. Anyway, I'm going to put it all back together and see if it will fire up connected. So far, CPU known to be good, ram is good, video card is good, PSU is good. Can't be one of the drives keeping it from booting? Must be a short as the sticky says. I salute you and this site, I love you guys!

9. Elf-stone

Elf-stone

That's great, Minigunn.
    Trying one component at a time is what trouble-shooting's all about. Make sure your standoffs are installed properly. Check all wires for signs of wear. Even a fan wire that is exposed and touching the metal case can short out the whole system.
    Yes, a bad drive can cause all sorts of problems.

This is the best site on the web for computer advice. (y)

10. minigunn

minigunn Thread Starter

Well, my joy was premature. I booted up, and I got "the bios not be installed" and then a bit of code, and a clock counting up. So, I tried it again, but only got a single beep, nothing on the screen, the fans running, and nothing else. Any ideas?

11. minigunn

minigunn Thread Starter

Just a good news update: evil bay had my exact same motherboard, NIB, for $40. So I got that, moved all the gear over, and: Ta Daaa!!! Everything up and running smoothly. Though for some reason my second Sata drive is now "G" instead of "F" - but whatever. I did have to reinstall a few odds and ends, but it was dead simple. Didn't even have to reinstall XP. Nice!

12. Elf-stone

Elf-stone

Glad you got it going minigunn, and for cheap too. (y)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646231

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice