1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Did Smart Media card die, or is it camera?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Snixe, Aug 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Snixe

Snixe Thread Starter

I was hunting some pictures and put my SM (Lexar) card into the card reader on my computer's tower to check for images. Finding none, I removed it and put it back in camera. Later, I went to take some pictures with the camera (Olympus D-370) and on the screen was a button "format" with a "cancel" button underneath that. I selected "cancel" and pressed the OK button and got the message "Card Error." The card was inserted correctly. I turned the camera off and then back on and got the same display. This time I chose "format" and pressed OK. Got the "card error" message again. I put the card back into my computer's card reader and it showed all the normal things it usually does.
    Is my card bad or has the camera gone kaput? Batteries are fresh. Camera has been resting in its case; hasn't been dropped or anything. The card is normal in appearance and was handled properly.

Sally

2. buck52

buck52 Banned

have you tried a fresh card?

does this mean that all is working?
    what does it normally show?
    Does it still show the error if you put it in the camera?

3. Snixe

Snixe Thread Starter

When I put the card in the camera, I got the format message and "Card Error" whenever I pressed "OK" to format or "cancel" to cancel formatting.

I put the card back in the card reader on my computer and the card reader displayed all the usual things it does, but the camera would not read the card at all. Kept getting the error message.

Tried a new card and it works fine. I guess it was just time for the old card to die, but it's funny that it worked fine one day and was dead the next!

Sally

4. hansmax

hansmax

My grandpa was the same way.

5. fredman

fredman

Your grandpa, or your grandpa's camera ?

6. hansmax

hansmax

My grandpa.

7. colin65

colin65

i have had 2 128 meg smartmedia cards die on me. a lot of stores have stopped stocking them lately, maybe they are all prone to failure.

8. Snixe

Snixe Thread Starter

I suppose my card could've just been ready to die at that moment, but I still find the timing curious. I was wondering if putting it into the computer's card reader did anything to it, even though I've put it in there before with no problems. Now I'm paranoid about putting the new card in the computer's card reader :eek:

9. colin65

colin65

i forget what kind of card reader i had originally, but i blamed it on that too so i bought another one. i ended up buying a pny which hasn't given me any problems yet.

10. doggard

doggard

If you worried about using the PCs card reader jsut connect the camera up via usb with its internal menu set to show as an externel drive.This said the card reader should not have caused the problem.

11. Snixe

Snixe Thread Starter

I think I know on one level that the tower's card reader didn't destroy the card. It's just that for about the past year I have had so many problems with just about every piece of technology I've encountered that I'm leery! Thanks.

Sally

12. doggard

doggard

I know the feeling.I remember when floppies lasted years,these days you only have to look at them wrong for them to fail :D

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/260923

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice