1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Did Sp2 destroy my laptop?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Worried19, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Worried19

Worried19 Thread Starter

I downloaded sp2 into my hp xp sp1 laptop. I clicked to install. Because of inactivity, the screen came up "To begin, click your user name." (Just one user, me.) The pointer wouldn't move. Nothing worked. Nothing. No response. I pressed the power button, and it started going into hybernation. As soon as it finished, I pushed again. It came back on, with same results. A little later, I could move the pointer, but I still can't click on my user name (no response).

So I have just destroyed my laptop?? Is there a rescue?

2. Worried19

Worried19 Thread Starter

BTW, under my name it says "1 program running."

3. Worried19

Worried19 Thread Starter

When I click on the icon beside my name, it changes slightly to indicate it knows it has been chosen. If I click on "1 program running," it becomes underlined. If I click on "Turn of HP Laptop," it becomes underlined. If I click elsewhere, the name icon fades. That's all that clicking will do. At least the arrow (pointer) will move.

4. Worried19

Worried19 Thread Starter

Now it says "2 programs running." But I still can't cause anything to happen by clicking, other than the slight change in appearance I mentioned above.

5. Worried19

Worried19 Thread Starter

I do note that the hard drive activity light is very active. Could it be that the installation is still going on and just won't be disturbed for a while? How long does the installation take?

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Could easily take half an hour or more.

Sounds OK

7. Worried19

Worried19 Thread Starter

I got panicky and called Microsoft. Got a technician that said that it sounded like the installation was corrupted. With a little initial difficulty, we got it into safe mode, went to add-remove, and unstalled sp2. Turns out the problem was that I had installed NAV 2005, and it and sp2 are incompatible. She was very helpful in walking me through and in explaining and giving me this information about NAV 2005. She said to wait until a patch took care of the conflict before installing sp2 again.

But thanks Kiwiguy.

I wonder if there wouldn't be some way to warn customers like me about such a conflict before installing sp2. Seems like it would be big news, doesn't it?

8. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Well, to be honest its unwise to install any program, let alone a Service Pack with antivirus running, so perhaps that would have allowed the install?

And it is news to me that SP2 and NAV2005 conflict.
    Symantec seem to know nothing about it, perhaps its a Toshiba only issue?

9. Worried19

Worried19 Thread Starter

My NAV2005 was not running, nor was ZoneAlarm. My laptop is HP.

She said that it had to do with the security characteristics of sp2. She said that sp2 won't install if NAV2005 is already installed and vice versa.

I posted this message a few minutes ago, but it disappeared, so I am writing it again. (I used "Post Reply" last time rather than "Post Quick Reply.) I don't understand the difference.

10. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I would have expected to find a lot on Google about it if that was the generic case though, and I just don't see it.

Likewise I would have expected to see it on the Symantec site and I don't.

I would email Symantec if I were you, if you have paid good money for it, it's somewhat incredible that a product labelled "2005" would not be compatable with the supplied Windows operating system from 2004 onwards, if you get my meaning.

There has to be another factor that we are unaware of that is coming into play surely, not just SP2+NAV2005?

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I don't think it was Nav2005. 2004 maybe, but the latest version should handle XP SP2 without any problem. You might check HP support pages for your laptop and see if there are any updates that should be installed prior or any known issues.

I had almost a similar situation with a Dell Inspiron 1150. Installed XP SP2 and everything slowed to a crawl. It turned out the update was replacing the processor driver with something that was incompatible. Rollback the driver after the install and no problem. Only months later did Dell come out with an update that was supposed to be installed before the SP2 update.

12. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Instead of Symantec giving their products year numbers they would be better to sell them according to the Operating System they are to be used on, such as NAV XP, NIS XP or NSW XP, NAV ME, and so on, and update them.

I would try AVG which is far less of a resources hog. I use AVG 7 Free Home edition and use Kerio Firewall as I noticed a drop in performance after installing ZA on my last install. (Never happened before.)

13. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

As a FYI, I am running Nav 2005 that was installed on SP2 and am having zero problems.
    And, contrary to popular opinion on the web, have never seen NAV affect PC performance. Even when it was running on Win98 on my P-II 266!
    I think too many people lump the rest of the apps that install as part of SystemWorks, under the NAV umbrella when they talk about Norton and performance. And yes, running WinDoctor, SystemDoctor, DiskDoctor, Cleansweep, etc etc can certainly drag down a machine.

14. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

Unless you have sufficient RAM of course. ;)

15. Dr Dave

Dr Dave

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324471

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice