1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Did Win XP SP2 alter my keyboard driver?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ozegirl, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

The system:

Medion 6100 Laptop, running Win XP Home Edition 2002 with SP1, all patched & updated & all systems running fine.

Then....installed SP2. Everything still running fine EXCEPT that I now cannot enter into Standby mode. I get an error message that the EnE Keyboard Driver KB 3886 is preventing the system from entering standby, and that a driver update may be required.

I have contacted Medion and there is no driver update. Device Manager reports that the device driver is working properly.

I contacted Microsoft and was told that SP2 does not alter any drivers.

However...

Device Manager show that there are 3 driver files involved for the keyboard:

C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\EKBfltr.sys

C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\i8042prt.sys

C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\kbdclass.sys.

I have checked on "Search files" to see if any of these files were modified following install of SP2, but they didn't show up.

I also looked in C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS at each of the 3 files and the dates on them were 2002 for the EKB file and 2003 for the other two. However, there is a folder in Windows called C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles and in that the latter two files have dates of August 2004. Also in Device Manager on Driver Details the dates for these two latter files show up as August 2004, and with a notation:

File Version 5.1.2600.2180(xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

I suspect that the EKB file is a manufacturer-specific file and that the other two are "common" system files connected with keyboards???

I'm wondering if the installation of SP2 has updated these other two files in such a way that the EKB file now longer "works" the way it should?

Am I on the right track at all here?

Options going through my head are:

Uninstall the keyboard from device manager and then reboot to allow the driver to reinstall (but perhaps it will just reinstall what was there...)

or

What if I tried "Roll back driver"? Would that have the effect of changing those other two files back to pre-SP2? And would this be a safe option? If SP2 has altered those other files, there must be a worthwhile reason for it???

I'd like some info on how Roll back driver works...

Can you only roll back to the previous driver or if there has been more than one previous driver, do you get to choose?

If you roll back to previous driver is there an option to undo the roll back?
    I can't find this mentioned anywhere.

If any pastes of error logs or any other sys info would be of help, please ask.
    Thanks in advance

2. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

No replies as yet :-( but another thought for your views:

Could I try creating another hardware profile, (a copy of the original), restarting the computer, selecting the new profile, and in this profile (using it as a test or dummy profile) try (1) uninstalling the keyboard driver or (2)rolling back?

I could then restart the computer and see how that goes? If it works, I set up to use the new profile on reboot. If not, I just delete the new profile and go back to the original one.

Is that idea worth a try?

3. ozegirl

ozegirl Thread Starter

4. /\/\r.Abdul

/\/\r.Abdul

sorry about replying a little late but u should get rid of SP2 its sucks a fat one. and if i read this article right it had so many errors that microsoft are going abandond it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271151

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice