1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Didn't install software before inserting device as instructed--now what?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Alex Ethridge, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I have a Belkin F5D7001 wireless card here in a Windows 2000 system. The person who brought it to me was honest enough to tell me he inserted the card before installing the software. Of course, the system can now not set up the card.

I put in an e-mail to Belkin Tech Support and don't know how long it might be before an answer comes (if any); but, I also have some slim hope someone here has had to deal with this and might know a fix or a reference they could refer me to.

I've Googled; but, if there is anything out there, I don't know what words to Google.

2. bernardus

bernardus

The best thing to do is delete the card in System devices Network cards. Restart and Windows will detect a new device. Don't allow Windows to install it's generic driver. don't let it seek over the intenet. Just lead and point to the CD that you have and Windows will find the appropriate strings and programs on the CD. It's sometimes better to load the software before the device is being added. But even than, WIndows will pop up with a new device and installs it's generic driver. Most of the time it's better to wait after startup device detected, and lead the device's drivers by yourself. Otherwise you will have a conflicting situation of two drivers installed.

bernardus

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Thanks but I've already tried all those suggestions and it doesn't help. Windows still can't set it up.

I've run into this with USB printers and it has always required a manual edit of the registry. This is the first time I've encountered it with a PCI device and I can't find anything on the 'net about it. If this runs true to form, a registry edit will probably be the answer. And, yes, I tried backdating (system restore) with the card removed and then installing the software an then the card.

4. bernardus

bernardus

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543677

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice