1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Died a sad death

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by steviejay, Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. steviejay

steviejay Thread Starter

Hi fellas
    Not sure how to explain this one so bear with me.
    A few days ago i got the dreaded blue screen!!!
    I switched everything off then restarted and all seemed ok, however all yesterday a noise was coming from the PC which i can only describe as sounding like an old dial up modem just before it started dialling, y'know the click, click (sorry if that sounds thick)

Then earlier thi morning it had a clicking fit then just hung so again i just had to pull the plug problem is now windows wll not start and there is a not very nice noise coming from the HDD luckily i had another hard drive which i installed but its got very basic running features on it where as the one that died has about 60 gb of info most of which i dont mind losing but there are pics music etc etc that i want, is there a way of bringing this drive back to life while saving my stuff, please help cos i am pretty damn deppressed with this

Cheers
    Steve

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

It sounds like you have a dialer infection but let's find out what all if any there are by running a HijackThis.

To download HJTsetup.exe To Download HijackThis go to the following: http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item5
    Filename = 1137518044HJTsetup.exe
    Save the file to your desktop.
    Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
    By default it will install to C:\Program Files\HijackThis.
    Continue to click Next in the setup dialog boxes until you get to the Select Additional Tasks dialog.
    Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
    Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
    At the final dialog box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
    Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
    Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
    At the top of the Notepad HJT log screen, hit Edit then Select All then click Edit and then click Copy doing that copies the text to the clipboard, you won't see it yet....
    Open a TechSupportGuy forum Reply window under Internet & Networking in Security for this thread, to have ready to paste the Hijackthis log into. Click once to place the typing cursor in the reply window.
    At the top of your TSG/browser window, hit Edit then Paste
    You should see your copied Hijackthis log appear in the reply space....then, submit the reply and copy and paste the link in the address bar back to the original thread you were in.
    DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

3. Rockn

Rockn

Sounds more like a dieing hard drive from your description of the problem.

4. steviejay

steviejay Thread Starter

i cant run HJT because i cant get windows running, the only reason i can get on here is with the other drive

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Yes but if it is a virus then we will know if it is or not and then the data can be backed up clean. I just do not want to see the important data gone. Of course the member might want to purchase a new hard drive and after it is installed and working and all of his programs installed he can put the old hard drive in as a slave and retrieve his data that way.

6. steviejay

steviejay Thread Starter

HJT is already installed on the drive but i cant get it past DOS so i wouldnt be able to run, HJT or save its file or post it on here, or would i??

7. steviejay

steviejay Thread Starter

Any other ideas?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490419

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice