1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Difference between 40 pin LCD connector and 40 TTL connector

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Avatarfreak3, Oct 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Avatarfreak3

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi Avatarfreak3, and welcome to TSG.

You would need to get the specifications for the particular LCD panel you wish to use. As far as I know, a 40 pin connector on an LCD panel does not indicate a specific signaling method used to the LCD or what pins are used for what purpose. Most laptop manufacturers have high enough production volumes to where they can have the LCD panel makers make products with proprietary interfaces just for them.

3. Avatarfreak3

Well, how exactly would I figure that out? I still have all the components of the laptop I disassembled if it is anywhere on there. I have taken a few pictures of the monitor. Also, a little side question, if I got a 2 pin to 3 pin adapter and plugged the monitor into a fan slot would that work? Sorry, I am a newb at computer hardware, no one in my family is good with electronics and I have only here recently build my gaming computer and taken apart an Xbox.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4yCdJSPub1ESEJjYUVweEh6dnM
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4yCdJSPub1EaXNNdEJadGMwenM

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    You Google the heck out of anything that looks like a manufacturer's name and/or part number and try to find the specifications for it. Look for a label on the bottom cover of the laptop that has the brand and full model number of the laptop. Then Google the heck out of that information with LCD added to the search terms. You may be able to find companies selling replacement LCD modules and garner some information as to how they operate. You may not have an easy time finding enough information to connect the LCD panel to any kind of video adapter board. Laptop manufacturers would rather have their own service departments replace damaged LCD panels in customer's laptops and may be stingy with giving out any technical specifications for the LCD panels.

You first need to understand that what you have is not a "Monitor", in the sense of a monitor you might connect to a desktop computer. What you have is more like the LCD panel that is found inside of a monitor made to connect to a desktop computer. A monitor may have HDMI, DVI, Display Port, and/or VGA input connectors that are identical to the connectors found on many other monitors from many manufacturers. There are no standards as to how each manufacturer chooses to convert those signals into displayed pixels on the LCD panel inside the monitor.

If the LCD panel has one or more separate two wire cables on it, they are most likely for the backlight power only. CCFL backlights require hundreds of volts of high frequency AC power. LED backlights require a much lower DC voltage. There is no single standard voltage or voltage range for either CCFL or LED backlights. I have no ide what you mean by a fan slot.

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1180344

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice