1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved difference between a single flare and double flare tool?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by hamster, Dec 19, 2001.

Unmark Solved
Advertisement
  1. hamster

hamster Guest Thread Starter

While I was unscrewing one of the brake lines from the brake clinder I snapped off the brake line connect to it (it was very rusted) and need a flaring tool so I can screw back a nut. Now how do I know which flaring tool to use??

A single flare or a double flare?? What is the difference between the two and How do I find out which one I need??? thanks!! (just a project I'm working on!)

2. MacFromOK

MacFromOK

Hi hamster, :)

A single flare is exactly what the name suggests.
    The tubing is just flared at the end.

A double flare is made by the end of the tubing
    being rolled/folded inside itself, then the double
    layer is flared. This takes a flaring tool with
    various size inserts (they have a head with a
    groove in it), which are placed in the end of
    the tubing, and when pressure is applied it
    rolls the edge toward the inside to make the
    double layer.

Brake lines (and most any other steel line)
    are double flared. Single flares are usually
    sufficient for copper tubing.

Cheers, Mac

3. hamster

thanks mac!

So was I misinformed, someone told me I need a Single Flare.

Now this is the brake line from the back of the Rear Wheel which connects to the Brake Clinder, so I should use a Double Flare and not a single flare??

thanks again in advance!!

4. MacFromOK

MacFromOK

hamster, :)

Definitely a double flare. It's very hard to
    get a good seal on a steel line with a single
    flare, and they're more prone to cracking
    at the base of the flare.

It's gonna be tough (if not impossible) to
    flare a rusty line though. I don't know where
    you're located, but here in the US most all
    auto parts store have generic brake lines of
    various lengths (ends already flared with nuts),
    and junction blocks to splice them together
    for more length options.

The line from a rear wheel should run to a
    T-junction, with separate lines for each wheel
    and one going to the front of the vehicle.

Cheers, Mac

5. Dark Star

Dark Star

Mac,

You are amazing from Welding 101 to flaring tool to usage all in one forum.........thanx I learned something too. :D

6. MacFromOK

MacFromOK

Jack of all trades, master of none... :D

7. hamster

wow, thanks MacFromOK, you are amazing!! and to think that person that give me that advice work at the auto store!!!

But he was cool.. I went there telling him I need to purchase a new brake line cuz I broke the end that sticks into the screw thingy and he told me I need a single flare...

but as I research on the net I couldn't find nothing on how to use a single flare only on a double flare so That's why I post here to make sure..

so anyway I'm going to follow your advice and not the Person who works in the Auto Store which makes my stomach turn but you look like you know what you are talking about!

One more thing... If you can fix this for me I'll be soooooooo amaze!!!!!!

I brought a Panasonic DVD player AU115 (I believe) way back (when It was pricey!) and it also have a static noise when I play my dvd's but after like a hour the static noise disappears???

It is connect with the red/white/yellow thingy from the back, I secure so it's not loose, so that is not the problem.

BUT when I hook it up to play from the vcr, the static noise is not there???

Can you help me jack of all trades???

8. MacFromOK

MacFromOK

Sorry I can't help ya much on this one. I
    don't have DVD, still stuck in VCR land... :)

I'd guess it's a faulty electronic component
    that's taking a while to warm up and
    operate properly, but you might try
    grounding the case, especially if the static
    changes tone when you touch it.

There's folks here who'll know much more
    about it than I do. Good luck.

Cheers, Mac

9. hamster

Im a idiot I'm a idiot. man, I'm a idiot!!! Lucky the auto store gives out free loaners for the double flare!! We tried it, but NO way in $#@# it would work!!

We was just going to try to connect some rubber tubing to go with the flow.

But at the store the other guy was a big help!! All we need was a little Brake line that connect to the T thingy mac mention!!

All that wasted time for nothing!! I should have read your posting and soaked it in. damn.... once you mention separate lines from the T thingy I should have taken the hint and look under neath to see that it could be seperated!!!

So I didn't need the whole breakline or to flare anything, but just to connect a little piece of the Breakline,

man!! it only cost $3.15 for that line!! That salesperson who told me to use a single flare is a idiot!! because I mention first I would need a new brake line but he said all I need is to flare it up.

man... :(

10. Dark Star

Dark Star

.......man I'm glad you got that handled, because you've been an accident waiting for a place to happen......using that emergency brake to get stopped.

Does your Insurance Co. know about this "Einsten" working at the (crappy) parts store? :D

DS

11. hamster

yeah Dark Star! But I would never would drive the car without the brakes being fixed. I mean I could just imagin me driving Like the Flintstones using my feet for the brakes!!

It was a easy job, no problem. It's just using your common sense and a little elbow grease!! Please ******* will test it out for you at no cost. Have a good holiday!

12. Dark Star

Dark Star

hamster,

"I would never would drive the car without the brakes being fixed."

I said Gimme a break...I mean give me a brake. LMAO.....The Flinkstones I've heard that 'ol duck fart in the water before........ha ha ha

DSD

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62267

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice