1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Difference between DNS Server and Proxy Server

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dinesh3618, Nov 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dinesh3618

dinesh3618 Thread Starter

Hi Folks,

Being a beginner for the Linux background i wanted to understand few topics like

1> Why we require Java installed in the Linux environment? what is the role of it?

2>Why we need to install the Proxy and DNS server and what is the differencs between the DNS and Proxy Server.

Kindly help me in understanding this.

Thank you!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If this is school work, as it sounds, please understand that few of us are eager to do other people's assignments.

Otherwise, ask whoever is making the requirements.

3. dinesh3618

dinesh3618 Thread Starter

Hi TerryNet,

I am installing the Linux distribution CentOS in my PC and when i googled for the requirements to access the internet, i understtod that we need to set the Java server,DNS server and proxy server for accessing the net.

later i googled about them but all the articles i came across are top of my head and hence i couldnt understand anything from them.

i believe that this could be better explained by the networking guys and hence i posted my doubts.

it may seem like an assignment but believe me that i did my homework by googling and unable to get anything in that direction, posted my doubts in the forum.

Hope you understood my concern.

Thank you!

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thank you for your explanation. I just misunderstood.

Usually you connect a computer to a router or modem and receive an IP configuration from the router or your ISP, respectively. This configuration will include a DNS server, which is most times just fine. You only need to assign one yourself if you are having a problem. And even in that case you often can just tell the router's DHCP server to assign your devices the desired DNS server. Are you having a specific DNS related problem for which you want help/advice?

There is usually no need to use a proxy server unless you are trying to hide your IP address.

I assume that for "Java server" you mean the Java add-on for a browser. You would download and install it if you have a specific need for it. Is there something that you want to do but cannot because you do not have Java? I think that your answer is 'no' since you are asking what it would do.

5. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

You don't need a proxy server or a Java "server" to have access to the Internet on an CentOS box. During the setup of CentOS depending on the packages you install, if you installed the GUI files, you'll get a desktop like you would with Windows. If you didn't, you'll only get a command line. Also, during the setup process, the setup script should have asked about network configuration information if it can properly detect any network interface cards. At this point, you can either manually specify the IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, and DNS servers or set everything to DHCP.

If you didn't do any of this, I would recommend wiping the install and starting over. If you don't want to do this and want to learn more about Linux, you need to research information on the following: ifconfig and ifcfg-[name of network interface]. You need to open a shell window/command prompt if you have the GUI loaded or you'll already be there if you didn't install the GUI. Run ifconfig which will give you an output of all the network interfaces the OS has detected and set up. You'll see it broken out with sections and under the interface description name with the network parameters for it. Here is an example I pulled from Wikipedia:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0F:20:CF:8B:42
    inet addr:217.149.127.10 Bcast:217.149.127.63 Mask:255.255.255.192
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:2472694671 errors:1 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:44641779 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:1761467179 (1679.7 Mb) TX bytes:2870928587 (2737.9 Mb)
    Interrupt:28

The above example is for an Ethernet port labeled eth0. To manually configure this interface, you have to edit the config file for this interface with an editor like vi. The config file is located under this directory: /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ . The file you're looking for in the above example is ifcfg-eth0. So you would do a vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 .

Here is more information on configuring the config files for a network interface:

https://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Deployment_Guide-en-US/s1-networkscripts-interfaces.html

To specify the DNS server(s), you have to edit this file: /etc/resolv.conf .

I forget since it's been a long time since I got a bit dirty with Linux. But I seem to recall having to do something to make changes to the resolv.conf file persistent. Maybe things have changed since then. Here's more reading information:

https://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Deployment_Guide-en-US/ch-networkscripts.html

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!