1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Difference between original and OEM Install CD's

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by vookster82, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vookster82

vookster82 Thread Starter

Hi, im trying to figure out what the difference is between an original XP CD and the OEM CD that came with my dell computer. I know the there is something in the $OEM$ folder that must be used to check the COA through the BIOS ROM and allow for use without activation etc...such as a corporate CD and key....that much i can understand.

But is there anything else to it???
    Is one better off using an orginal XP CD or the one from the manufacturer???
    Anything else i might need to know would be greatly appreciated (y)

Thanks for looking

2. unbidden

unbidden

The OEM cd is specific to that motherboard and the license agreement will be recognized during the install. There may also be other software, drivers and the like on the Dell cd that again are specific to your computer. If you were to change the motherboard to a different model board, you would need to call MS for a new key code.

The shrink wrapped stand alone version will come with a key code you must enter. You will also have some greater functionality if you have to trouble-shoot using the tools available in XP's Recovery Console.

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

Use the System Builder Version CD that came with your machine.

4. vookster82

vookster82 Thread Starter

sounds good...just got use to useing my original XP CD....now im just trying to figure out what keeps going wrong with my clean installs on my dimension 8400.... Ill give the OEM manufaturer disc another shot...

thanks

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490190

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice