1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Difference between these two motherboards?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by THFS, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. THFS

THFS Thread Starter

Gigabyte GA-945PL-S3 FSB800 ATX PCIEx16 DualDDRII SATAII GbE
    Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 P965 PCIE16,DDRII SATAII Glan

The price difference is $20, just wondering what the difference between them is. Which would you recommend?

2. schusterjo

schusterjo

Well You need to visit their website and look up the 2 boards. I did this for you
    GA-965P-S3 (rev. 1.0)
    GA-945PL-S3 (rev. 2.0)

The main thing is the CHIPSET the 945 and 965
    The 965 allows for a higher FSB that being 1066Mhz compared to the slower 800Mhz
    Allowing for a faster CPU

The 965 allows for a quad core the 945 don't

The 965 allows for faster ram to be used 800Mhz compared to 533Mhz

The 965 also allows for more connection options such as Sata drives ext.. I'm' not going into great detail here. I think you already get the point and if you really need that great detail then you can compare that if needed.

Now, I can see already that by asking the question your not familiar with FSB Mhz or matching ram.

I'm going to throw you a quick explanation.

You see on the pages where it say FSB (i listed them above) you have 1066Mhz on one board and 800Mhz on the other.
    Lets say I went out and bought this CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz
    Now click on that link and top right (orange bar) click "specifications"
    You see where it says FSB 1066?
    Now this CPU will work on the 945 motherboard but lets look at that
    the 945 says max FSB 800
    this CPU will work but has a 1066
    So that's 1066-800=466Mhz loss
    You just lost a buch of speed.
    So you need to match this up to get the best performance and always be thinking upgrade potential as well. cause the $900 CPU today will be $200-300 Next year and always cheaper to upgrade to buy a new CPU then both mobo/cpu.

NOW you also want to match the ram up with the CPU to explain that pls check this link out
    Read the post that CRJ made to learn to build but scroll down to the 5th post (my post)and read the section about matching Ram
    http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/531492-guide-building-your-own-system.html

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

shusterjo you are right about the ram but the chipset does not limit the fsb, obviously Gigabyte does on this board and that I find odd as I have seen many 945 chipset boards with 1066.
    One thing to add is yes you have more future with 965 chipset for sure, but there are many problems out there with 965 and 975 chipsets enough so I would stay away for a while. Main problems are matching ram but there are others.

4. schusterjo

schusterjo

Correct, was trying to be basic as possible without confusing the poster, but be effective enough to understand matching. The 945 chipsets with 1066FSB been done with a bios upgrade.
    I personally have had no issues with 965 chipset.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

again I don't want to belabor the point but many 945 boards are fine for 1066. I have 2 myself that required no bios update.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/535932

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice