1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DIFFERENCE EXCEL 97 VB and VBA in LATER VERSIONS

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Keebellah, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

First Name:
    Hans
    :rolleyes:
    Does anyboy have a list of non-supported commands of vb(a) code?
    The reason I ask this is that I have a series of Excel sheets with quite a lot of VBA code which I know is Not supported in excel 97.
    The sollution is simple, have the people upgrade but, it's not that simple for them so I want to use my sheets in Excel 97.
    Most macro's run without a hitch but I want to write relevant error code with version checking to avoid error screens and halted macro code.
    Anybody a list?

Thanks (y)

2. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Can you provide some code sample that don't work in the earlier versions?

Regards,
    Rollin

3. exegete

exegete

VBA for XL 97 (and Mac versions of XL) is based on VB5, whereas 2000 to 2003 VBA is based on VB6.

Some (or all) aspects of ActiveX will be missing, as well as some Pivot Table support. There's more, but I don't have time to examine all of them. :)

4. Keebellah

First Name:
    Hans
    Hi Rollin,
    I'll be logging into the system where Excel 97 is being used this weekend. I'll make a screen shot of the error en attach the module (code), myabe the whole sheet with code but I'll have to clear some data.
    I'll be getting back 'round Sunday

5. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

We'd really need to see the code. :) you should develop your applications in the lowest version which will be used by your users.

sent via mobile. :)

6. Keebellah

First Name:
    Hans
    Firefytr,
    I'll get the code ready to send by Sunday, well, I agree if I was developping something for them in particular, the thing is I had this ready for our own team and the other party liked it so that's why I want to see which part of the code is not "understood" by Excel 97, I checked th addins in Excel as well as the object libs in the VBA module but that seems to be Ok.
    Code follows asap.

7. Keebellah

First Name:
    Hans
    Firefytr,
    Well, I solved the problem. The formula I used was xl1 = round(lastrow/200,0) and that was it.
    Excel 97 did not recognize round(value,0) as a valid function but did accept Worksheet.function.round(value,0)
    I don't know if this is due to Excel 2000 and up and non existen in 97 but that was the issue.
    That's why I didn't send the code.
    Thanks for giving it your attention.

8. Keebellah

First Name:
    Hans
    It's solved I forgot to add solved when I posted my reply.
    (y)

9. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

With Excel 97 being based on VB5, those types of functions were not part of the Application object, or could not be assumed to be. So using the WorksheetFunction object is generally the better way to go with something like that. Glad it was fairly simple! :)

10. Keebellah

First Name:
    Hans
    Thanks Zack, that's what you get when you learn by doing and not by book.
    I'll keep the offer in mind and will send you my sheet soon.
    Just trying to fill it with some data and translate the messages to English.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700257

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice