1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Difference in cables?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by notdbritest, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notdbritest

notdbritest Thread Starter

I am in the process of upgrading my AV setup and want to hardwire my satellite box and BlueRay player to my router for movies and various web stuff.

I'll need about a 40 foot run to get up the wall, across the attic and down to the router. Looking at cable, I see prices all over the place, regardless of being cat5, cat5e, or cat6... I assume the super cheap stuff is selling cheap based on build standards and reliability, and plan on staying away from it.

From what I've read, I think cat5E is what I need. Is this correct, or do I need to go to cat6? Any particular brand/supplier better or worse than the rest? I understand the difference that winding or the grade of copper can make in the analog realm, but haven't wrapped my mind around how that matters in the digital world.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. geek117

geek117

Cat5e is rated for Gigabit speeds, and should do the job just fine. Cat5e is fairly cheap compared to Cat6 if you're purchasing in bulk. Check out Monoprice, and look for something like a 50ft cable. Should run you about $4 or so, plus shipping. If you want to buy bulk cable and keystone jacks, they have these items as well (for very cheap).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972874

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice