1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Difference in intel i7 processors?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spudy12, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spudy12

spudy12 Thread Starter

Hi, just wondering what the difference between the Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz (Sandy Bridge) and the Intel® Core™ i7-980X Processor Extreme Edition is?

One being a whole lot more expensive than the other, can't tell any major difference?

Many thanks

Spud

2. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Well for a start they both use different processor sockets. Specifications are as follows;

Intel Core i7 980x - http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=47932
    Intel Core i7 2600k - http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=52214

As you can see the 980x has 6 cores whereas the 2600k only has 4 cores. The 980x also has 12mb cache instead of the 8mb offered by the 2600k CPU. The 980x uses 130w of power and the 2600k only uses 95w meaning it will require less power and less cooling than the 980x. The 2600k also has a graphics card built into it. Although not exactly game playing graphics card but something that will work for most people that just watch a few films and play a few light internet games and older games.

Jack-O-Bytes

3. spudy12

spudy12 Thread Starter

thanks for that :)

what does it mean by different sockets?

4. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Hey there,

Each CPU has a certain socket that it can fit into to work correctly. If you buy a CPU that is 775 compatible then you will need a 775 motherboard. If you buy one that is 1156 then you will need a 1156 motherboard. Remember if you are in doubt about whether a CPU will work with a certain motherboard then the motherboard manufactures website usually tells you what CPU works with each motherboard they make.

Jack-O-Bytes

5. spudy12

spudy12 Thread Starter

Oh right i get it now!
    thanks for clearing that up for me?

One last question, what is the best motherboard to buy that comes with the Intel Core i7 980X already on it?
    Not bothered about price at all :)

Spud

6. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976000

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice