Difference in USB-C cables

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MostafaDesha

Hey i got a question
I wanted to buy a USB-C 3.0 cable from anker
Anyway i found i another cable with 3.1
It should be faster but my pc supports 3.0
If i got the 3.1 will i benefit from it or will it just the regular 3.0 speed ?!
Hope i made my point

cwwozniak

Chuck
The USB data rate will be limited to the slowest of the two devices or the cable connecting them. In your case, two USB 3.0 devices connected by a USB 3.1 cable will operate at USB 3.0 speed.

MostafaDesha

The USB data rate will be limited to the slowest of the two devices or the cable connecting them. In your case, two USB 3.0 devices connected by a USB 3.1 cable will operate at USB 3.0 speed.
Okay,
What happens if i bought USB3.1 PCI express card & connected it to my motherboard slot
Maybe then i will get the speed of the 3.1 right?

cwwozniak

Chuck
You would need to check the specifications of the proposed USB 3.1 expansion card for the PCI Express slot configuration (PCIe version number and number of lanes) needed on the motherboard to support full USB 3.1 speeds on the card. Then make sure your motherboard has a matching open slot to add the card.

EDIT: If you will be transferring the USB data to and/or from a hard drive in your computer, you may discover the hard drive's read and write speeds will be the limiting speed factor.

MostafaDesha

You would need to check the specifications of the proposed USB 3.1 expansion card for the PCI Express slot configuration (PCIe version number and number of lanes) needed on the motherboard to support full USB 3.1 speeds on the card. Then make sure your motherboard has a matching open slot to add the card.

EDIT: If you will be transferring the USB data to and/or from a hard drive in your computer, you may discover the hard drive's read and write speeds will be the limiting speed factor.
Okay thanks alot :)

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Your devices (external HDD, flash drives, etc.) also need to support 3.1 to take advantage of that protocol's extra speed.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online