1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Different Graphics Cards

Discussion in 'Games' started by brian_d, May 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brian_d

brian_d Thread Starter

Hello, I am new here so bear with me. I want to get the new Sims 3 game coming out in a few weeks. I did the system requirements lab, and it said that my video card was not up to par. I have the Intel Mobile 4 Series Express Chipset Family. Is there any way to replace this in a laptop or upgrade it so that the Sims will play efficiently? Also, can someone explain to me what the difference between integrated graphics and discrete graphics are? And why discrete are better. Thanks, sorry if its a lot.:eek:

2. BG-0

BG-0

Integrated graphics cards are integrated onto the motherboard of a computer. Discrete cards, also known as add-on cards are added to the computer using a slot (PCI, AGP, PCI-Express 16x with desktops, laptops are a bit different.) You can propably (depends a lot on the connectivity in your laptop) add a graphics card, but it will be external: http://www.trustedreviews.com/graph...-Makes-First-External-Laptop-Graphics-Card/p1
    Where to find one of those and how much they cost, no idea. What I know is that they're not worth it. :rolleyes: If you want to play a game, get a good game-capable laptop, or a same level desktop for 50% less.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/827927

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice