1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Different IPs/Not showing up when trying to port forward

Discussion in 'Games' started by TrevorAlu, May 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrevorAlu

TrevorAlu Thread Starter

So I am trying to set up a Minecraft server for my friends and I to play on, but the port forwarding does not seem to work. I have tried port forwarding to both my external ip that I got from one of those website as well as my internal ip that I got from ipconfig in cmd. I think the problem has to do with something about my IP and my router. When I look in my Router connections list, I can not find my device name or the internal IP listed in any of the connection lists. So, mainly, I am just trying to figure out my whole IP situation so I can also create a static IP. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

The IP address assigned by your ISP can change periodically and they and you cannot control it. That is the ip you get when you query 'what is my ip' in Google.

You can ask your ISP to give you a static ip address that does not change, but that costs a few more dollars.

Most routers support a thing called dynamic dns. Whereby the dyndns server gives you a dns name, like MyMineCraftServer.dyndns.com This service requires a little money. This name will be updated to your current IP address as it changes.

Port mapping does not require your external ip address. It takes a port number and forwards the traffic arriving at that port to a specific PC inside your network. So lets say somebody sends you something to port 1234, then the port map forwards that network traffic to your PC which is at, for example, 192.168.1.100. You can find the IP address of your PC by typing 'ipconfig'

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!