1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Different Kind of Power Up Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by andyd123, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. andyd123

andyd123 Thread Starter

Let me get this started briefly, and first see if anyone has heard of this, then I can give more specific hardware info as I go along.

Computer stays on 24/7, come in last night and it was powered off. It was dead, nothing...wouldn't power at all, tried everything.
    Unplugged cable from power supply, took cover off, swapped ps with a known good...nothing. Not even a light...nothing.
    Then I unplugged just the hard drive for kicks,...it powered up. Of course, only as far as it could go w/out a hd.

Can a hard drive die and then cause the machine to not power up, w/out a light, sound, or anything?

Thanks!
    andyd123

2. KingCody

KingCody

have you tried the HD in another system? or tried your current system with another HD?

3. andyd123

andyd123 Thread Starter

I have tried my hd in another sys...same results...no power.
    And, I do have a new Seagate hd used for backing up that I'll try plugging into my sys and see what happens. Will post back results.

4. cristobal03

cristobal03

Sounds like a short to me. I'd be careful what boxes you put that drive in.

I've never heard of a hard drive causing a short circuit, by the way. That's just what it sounds like.

chris.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433253

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice