1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Different motherboard but same hard drive possible?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alexeyukolov, Jul 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alexeyukolov

alexeyukolov Thread Starter

Hey guys, in couple days im getting a new MB, cpu, ram and case. I was wondering, can i put my old hard drive in, than just install drivers and bios for my new MB?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The answer is maybe. First of all, is this an oem type instal of windows ie what comes on a dell, hp, etc?

3. alexeyukolov

Not sure what you mean there :D

4. alexeyukolov

Everything is new except, CD/DVD drive and HDD which came originally from my old inspirion 537

5. kris141087

kris141087

Are you trying to keep the copy of windows you have installed on the hard drive when you connect it to your new motherboard?

6. alexeyukolov

That and also all the files that i gathered over the time, such as games, music and what not.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, now I can answer. You cannot use an oem ie dell, hp, whatever with a new mb. The EULA prohibits that AND you would not be able to install the dell os anyway. It does a bios check and when it sees a bios it does not recognize, it stops the install.

In short you need a new copy of windows. What you CAN do is buy a new copy and then use the existing install by going through a procedure that is outlined at the top of the forum. You would then need to change your key to the new one you purchased.

8. alexeyukolov

So i have to erase the whole hard drive and not install any OS, nothing. Only install after im done putting the new rig together. Also, why cant i install the windows vista that came with this old computer?

9. alexeyukolov

Oh yeah, on the HDD i got disk C, and recovery disk D. On the recovery disk i got nothing but the cracked version of windows7 (the setup, not already installed files) that i use right now. Can i somehow erase whole disk C, than boot the new rig from disk D with windows 7 on it and install it from there?

10. alexeyukolov

I am so confused :eek:

PS: Yeah now i get it why you cant install that vista from dell (cheapos). But still if i reformat whole disk except disk D, which i got cracked windows 7 setup on can i do an install from there?

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Nothing since we do not assist with illegal software. Do not ask again about illegal software.

12. kris141087

kris141087

If your copy of windows came with your PC it is very likely that it would be illegal to use it on another system. If you bought windows separately from your PC it is sometimes possible to migrate your copy of windows to a new MB but it is not always a simple task crjdriver has written a very good guide on the issue at the top of the forum. If you are asking about a cracked ie pirate version of Windows then no one here can help you.

13. alexeyukolov

Gosh forget about the cracked version of windows. All i wanna know is how to safely transfer my old HDD to a completely new computer, thats it. Thanks.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As I said you cannot do that without buying a new lic for windows. It can be done however I am not going to post info on how to do it since it is an oem version of windows.

If you simply want to install your drive, then that is very easy. Just install the drive and then install a new copy of windows on the drive; done.

15. alexeyukolov

What if i move my music and movies to my recovery disk (D), And completely wipe disk C where i got all my files like OS and drivers.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1007338

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice