1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved different paragraph indent in Word

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by americamba, May 5, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. americamba

americamba Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-5020U CPU @ 2.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 61 Stepping 4
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8097 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 419 GB (232 GB Free); D: 24 GB (24 GB Free); F: 1863 GB (0 GB Free);
    Motherboard: LENOVO, Lenovo Edge 15
    Antivirus: Avast Antivirus, Enabled and Updated

I don't know how it happened but large sections of a large novel that I am editing all have different paragraph indents, some have no indent the way I prefer, some have a three-space indent, and some have a tab indent. is there any way to do a global fix. To do them manually will take days. I already tried "replace" asking it to find ^p^p (and 3 spaces) hoping to replace it with ^p^p (and no spaces) but it says it can't be found. I hope it can be fixed with some setting, or am I just dreaming? thanks, Frank

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    If you are using extra new empty paragraphs to separate paragraphs and indents are actual spaces or tabs and not moved first line markers, a search for ^p^p^w and replacing with ^p^p should do what you want. You may want to make a test copy of your novel file to make sure this doesn'r screw up something else.

3. americamba

Thanks. I got a message that ^w is not valid in the "replace' box. Stay with me. Waddayathink? thanks, Frank

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    The ^w is part of the ^p^p^w that is entered into the Find what box, not in the Replace with box.

The Replace with box should only contain ^p^p .

EDIT: My $0.02 worth of opinion is that you should not be using an extra paragraph break to space out paragraphs. You should be using a single paragraph break and formatting the paragraphs to add extra space before and/or after each paragraph. The double paragraph breaks may cause problems if your MS-Word file is going to be sent to a publishing house for printing.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  5. americamba

Hi CW,

I spotted my goof about the find and replace box contents but you were too quick. I didn't have time to get back to you sooner. Sorry. Thanks for yur two cents. I will try to convert it to the better way. I have not done the find and replace yet. thanks

frank

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1226713

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice