1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Differential backup fails

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by goedel, Mar 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G2030 @ 3.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3967 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1791 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 448568 MB, Free - 383036 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0XFWHV
    Antivirus: Malwarebytes, Disabled

First, I performed a system image backup to an external HD using Windows 7 Backup and Restore. It completed successfully, and I removed the external HD. Hours later, I made some changes to my system, and I decided to try a differential backup onto a memory stick. I first formatted the stick, FAT32. Then using the Windows 7 Backup, I tried several times to do a backup of my libraries onto the stick. Each time the attempt concluded with a notice that it failed with the error code 0x81000037 and with the message:
    "Windows Backup failed while trying to read from the shadow copy of the volume being backed up. Check event log for errors."

I don't know what "shadow copy" means, and I did not find anything in the Windows event log of any use to me.

Could TSG please advise me why I cannot do the differential backup?

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Not using windows 7 included procedure of backup - because that will not make a differential backup
    With a differential backup it only backs up changed files - eg different
    With differential backup you must keep the first full backup and then you only need the latest differential

With incremental backup which is included in 7`s built in system you must have the original full and all the incrementals

So Windows 7 performs a full backup and then incremental backups on schedule if it is set by default.
    Although NOT referring to 7`s included system the difference between differential and incremental is explained in detail here
    https://www.acronis.com/en-us/resource-center/resource/156/

You should also be aware that the system image is a backup but the backup is not an image
    So you would restore your computer in the event of failure requiring the image from the system image and then the files from backup
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/17127/windows-back-up-restore

Shadow copy is Volume Shadow Copy service and is directly related to backups
    Go Control Panel
    Admin Tools
    Services
    scroll to
    Volume Shadow Copy
    and check that service is manual start

also check SPP service
    which is listed as Software Protection Service
    do not confuse that with SPPP notification service below that entry
    check that SPPsvc is
    Automatic delayed start

then try again
    Why you would want to make the backup on a flash pen is a puzzle to me.
    In addition to your system image and still on the external drive
    I recommend a backup which will if the first be a full one on a schedule which will then be incrementals.

A guide for you
    https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/1838/using-backup-and-restore-in-windows-7/

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  3. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

You: Not using windows 7 included procedure of backup - because that will not make a differential backup
    With a differential backup it only backs up changed files - eg different
    With differential backup you must keep the first full backup and then you only need the latest differential

goedel:
    1. In 2014, I successfully used my present Windows 7 OS to make differential backups.
    2. I do not wish to make incremental backups, because they must all be used to do a complete restoration. With differentials, only the most recent differential is needed.
    3. As I stated, I made a system image on an external hardrive. Thus, to do a restoration, I would first restore the system image; then restore the last differential backup.

You: With incremental backup which is included in 7`s built in system you must have the original full and all the incrementals
    goedel:
    1. Precisely! Which is why I prefer the differential backup.
    2. Did Microsoft, in one of its updates since 2014, change the Backup and Restore software in Windows 7 so that differential backups are no longer performed; only incremental ones? I find that hard to believe.
    3. I still do not understand why my backups failed. I'll check the items you mentioned, but I cannot yet mark "solved".

4. Macboatmaster

Very good
    Hope you get it sorted

https://social.technet.microsoft.co...first-backup-of-the-same?forum=w7itproinstall

I think the problem is that YOU do not with respect understand how it works
    https://social.technet.microsoft.co...on-of-windows-backup-has?forum=w7itprogeneral

and also the way you are approaching the job is IMHO wrong.
    To recover a file from a system image, whilst it can be done, is not an easy job.
    The image is meant to be restored as a whole
    So whilst indeed you may need an system image, you also need a full backup, to ensure you can restore chosen data, from the backup

Explained in brief and easy to understand on one of the links I sent.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/17127/windows-back-up-restore

I provided the information to try and give you the best advice rather than simply answer your direct question
    The problem you encountered is more than likely caused by the services I mentioned.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  5. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

Since all I want is a differential backup, I can do without any additional software. I can simply copy the Libraries in my standard User profile to a memory stick. I have one that will hold 32GB. That would give me about four differential backups.
    Thinking of it, I don't see the need for any additional software to do that.
    Thank you for you interest in helping me. Very good of you to take the time. I am marking this solved now.

6. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

I have found the answer to my problem of not being able to make differential backups with the Windows 7 Backup and Restore software. The answer may be found by searching the internet under "Windows 7 'volume shadow copy'". Briefly, in services.msc, the Volume Shadow Copy had been for unknown reasons "stopped" and in "manual". I changed it, as I learned from the internet, to "started" and "automatic". Afterwards, I found I could make the differential backup without any problems.
    I prefer the differential backup because, although it takes more space on my memory stick, it would be faster to implement if the need arises. Only one file would then have to be restored after the system image was restored.
    The memory stick has enough capacity to hold at least five differential backups of my system, and the oldest ones can be deleted when more space is required.

7. Macboatmaster

I posted that in my reply but mine is and always has been set to manual and my windows 7 backup and restore works perfectly
    With it set manual - windows backup and restore turns it on when needed
    https://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/155007-volume-shadow-copy-necessary-2.html

However if you have succeeded with it set automatic that is good.
    Well done.

I by the way never suggested any additional software
    If you refer to the guide I sent you in post 2 although it mentions other backups it deals with how to use windows 7 backup and restore.

When you posted you said
    So I explained that to you.

I am pleased you think you have it sorted
    However IMHO you are still wrong
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...t-due-to/97b84639-831d-4cab-824a-0553e69b89aa

Please see the post by ElderN - 6th down on link

and as automatic means as in red and you can then see what manual means - program starts the service.
    System Service Settings
    System services are described differently from the other settings in this guide because the vulnerability, countermeasure, and potential impact statements are almost identical for all services. The following are some general rules for managing system services vulnerabilities, countermeasures, and potential impacts.

For each system service, you can assign a service startup type. The possible values for these settings are:

• Automatic. Service automatically starts when the computer is restarted.

• Automatic (Delayed start). Service starts automatically when the computer is restarted, but delays the start of the service until after higher priority services and drivers are started.

• Manual. Service does not start until a program starts it or it is explicitly started by the user.
    You are in fact invoking a security risk by having it set automatic
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/pr...ows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/hh125927(v=ws.10)

I have no further comment to add but felt it appropriate to mention that my advice was correct

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  8. goedel

goedel Thread Starter

You are correct; you did point to the problem initially. Thanks!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1206526

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice