Difficulty installing new printer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Honeycat

Hello! My 13-year-old Canon Bubble Jet printer ceased working right on a deadline. I replaced it with a Lexmark X5150, which is a combo printer-fax-scanner-copier.

I've set it up, copier etc is working, and got ready to hook up to my computer and make it my default printer. It came with an installation CD.

Well. I slide the CD in, and ... nothing. My G drive shows that it is empty. So it's not reading the CD. I've checked the CD repeatedly to make sure it's inserted correctly, but no luck. My drive reads other CDs just fine, so I know it isn't my drive.

Obviously I can go back to the vendor and ask for a new installation CD. But I bought the last printer of this type in stock and am not sure when I would be able to get a replacement. I am wondering if ANYONE knows a way I can just manually make the installation and assign it a driver and make it my default printer.

Oh - when I power up my computer (Sony VAIO, Windows 98) I get a wizard saying that it has detected new hardware but cannot find the software to install it.

Trying not to panic here. Don't these things always happen when you are pressed for time? All help appreciated!

Honeycat

I tried doing what you suggested with the CD but it still wasn't recognizing it. So I went to the Lexmark site and downloaded the driver etc. It downloaded successfully and I made the new printer my default printer.

... but!

I still am unable to print. I'm getting an error message that says "incorrect port detected." The Lexmark troubleshooter says to make sure that USB port is enabled on my computer, and it is. Then, the Windows troubleshooter says to make sure I am using the correct USB port (1 or 3???) that Lexmark specifies. Well. I have been thru every shred of Lexmark literature and cannot find anywhere were it specifies which port I need to use.

I THINK the one I have the usb cable plugged into is No 3. It's on the right when looking at the back of the computer. I understand from all the stuff I have read tonight that possibly it should be plugged into No 1. But:

*Maybe I am plugged into No 1? I don't know how to differentiate.
*I went to the control panel for my printer preferences and tried to print designating port 1 AND port 3, alternately, as the designated port for the Leximark, and neither worked.
* And if I change the port, and plug the printer's usb cable into my other usb port, that means unplugging my optical mouse which currently is in that port; and will that mess up my mouse?

After five hours of "troubleshooting," still confused. The Lexmark documentation just seems very simplistic and does not have much of the stuff I am looking for. I guess they ASSUME that the CD they give you will work! :p

Again, thanks.

Honeycat

I decided to move my USB cable to the other USB port to see if it made a difference, then in Properties told it to release the printer, then re-establish it.

Still shows "No Path" when I attempt to print.

Lexmark error message still says "Incorrect port detected" and tells me to check the Device Manager to see if the correct properties for my USB port are listed; they are. Lexmark troubleshooter says, "We are unable to solve your problem."

Pulling hair out here!!

The cd may be good but just not readable with your cdrom. Try and find someone else with a cd burner and see if the cd reads on their system. If so have them burn a fresh copy for you to use. How about a nice HP printer? ;)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online