1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Digital camera as storage? NOOOOOOOOO!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Katzy, Nov 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Katzy

Katzy Thread Starter

On page 47 of the "Computer Active" issue dated 26 Nov 2003, I'm told how I can use my digital camera as a storage media. "OO!", I thought, "That's a good idea!". Er... no, it isn't. Before I tried it, the media card in my camera was empty. 57 shots available. I copy'n'pasted an mp3 file onto it. "Coo!", I thought, "It worked". No, it didn't. Well, it did. In a way. Trouble is, although the camera says I only have 29 shots left, it doesn't show anything as being on the media, so I can't delete it! I have no way of getting all that space back! Or have I?

The camera is a Fujifilm @xia IX-100 jobby and I'm using XP Pro. Unfortunately, the drivers that I got with the camera weren't compatible with XP but, after much research, I found that the driver for a "D-Shot" camera worked.

I've tried to see if there's a way of formatting the card, but I think I need a cable to connect the camera to the TV, rather than the computer, to do that. I think that the problem lies somewhere in the fact that the drivers are designed, logically, to recognize .jpg files, so it doesn't recognise any other types, such as .mp3.

Looks like I'll need a new media card. Hardly a tragedy, but I wondered if anyone might have any ideas, for me...?

Naturally, I've asked this of "Computer Active", too...

2. hewee

hewee

3. Katzy

Katzy Thread Starter

No, neither could I! It definitely says, on both the box and the camera, that it's an "@xia IX-100", though. One would assume that "Axia" would be the proper name, though.

4. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

..as hewee said, more info would help,

..what format is your media card?,

..as an example, my nikon d2h uses a different media than my wife's fuji s2 pro, and that makes a difference on how it interfaces with the pc,
    ..with one, we have to use a media reader, but the other can be accessed directly as an external storage device,
    ..so reformatting would be a bit different in each case,

hope this helped,
    have a good day,
    daniel_b23804

5. raybro

raybro

Don't know about doing it in the camera, but you can get a card reader with USB interface pretty cheap. It will appear as another drive on your PC and you can do pretty much whatever you like with it, including formatting.

I'd be careful about formatting, though. I read a post where someone formatted a flash card in FAT32 and it wouldn't work in the camera because it should have been in FAT (or something like that).

That suggests to me, the best thing to do would be to access the card with a reader and delete the unwanted file.

Take a look here:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat12085&type=page&_requestid=18667

6. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

7. slipe

slipe

You get faster response if you format the card occasionally. So it is worth researching how to do that. Page 42 of the manual tells you how to do that in the camera.

I don’t understand why you think a connection to a TV would allow you to format the card. If the in-camera format isn’t working a TV connection won’t help.

If your camera shows up as a drive on your computer try right clicking on it and select "Format”. It is better to format with the camera software but that might get the JPG off since you seem to be having problems with the in-camera format.

Your camera doesn’t appear to be a US model, The only references I see to it are UK. This seems to be all that is available: http://www2.fujifilm.co.uk/technical/ XP Pro should install the camera so it shows as a drive when you plug it in. If that is the case the only thing you need is the updated viewer. If you have lost the manual I suggest you download and read it.

8. hewee

hewee

Good find on the camera Slipe. :)

I got a card reader to and it formats but it also said that it is best to do it in the camera.

9. Katzy

Katzy Thread Starter

Phew! I checked the site, as I already had, but all I can find is an updated Finepix viewer. (I'm in the boring UK, by the way). That's only for anything pre-XP, though. As far as Fuji are concerned, the drivers that they supplied with the camera should work with XP. They don't. As I said, I had to do a lot of research to find out that the "D-'Shot" drivers worked. Maybe a Google for that might help.

Slipe. You'll see from page 36 of the manual, which is the heading that page 42 comes under, why I think I need to connect to a TV.

The camera does show as a "Drive", but right-clicking gives neither a delete, nor format option. I think the problem is that opening the drive shows the camera as devoid of anything, coz the drivers for the camera will only recognize .jpegs. I have a friend who has a card-reader, though he lives miles away. I think I'll send it to him. Thanks for your suggestions, guys!

10. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

..hello Katzy,
    ..was just checking out older threads i had posted in,
    ..didn't see this one as resolved,
    ..was your problem solved?,
    ..if it was, it's not necessary, but it is nice to post a reply acknowledging that,
    ..it's good to know because there are many others reading/following the thread,
    ..some even with a similar problem,
    ..some just seeking the knowledge so if they ever have a similar problem,
    ..the threads also get archived and there are those who do search them for an answer without just jumping in and posting,
    ..and then there are us ego-maniacs who just want to know, WHAT solved your problem???,

..if your problem wasn't resolved, then PLEASE post back; there are many very knowledgeable people here on the forums who truly enjoy helping others by sharing that knowledge,
    ..it might even have been that your post just didn't get read by the one who had the answer, don't give up!, post back!!!,

..so if you would,

..thanks,

have a good day,
    daniel_b23804

11. Katzy

Katzy Thread Starter

Good point, Daniel.

As it happens, only yesterday, i got a card-reader and I've managed to delete the file, with that. It's caused me a whole load of other problems, though, in that my system now runs very, very slowly and bootup/shutdown times have become very slow, too.

At the moment, I'm investigating that. I've exhausted ideas and I'm now looking forward to reinstalling XP Pro... :(

12. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

katzy,
    ..before you reformat, etc., :eek:
    ..are you sure THIS is what caused the 'slow-down',
    ..i mean, have you checked the other obvious things, spy-ware, ad-ware...
    ..and did you check your 'install cd' to see if there were any other drivers in a folder on it?,
    ..with my nikon, it was automatic on both w98 and w2k, but with my wife's fuji, it was automatic only on w98, on w2k we had to exit the 'auto install' and right click>explore looking for the folder with the drivers, then go into device manager to update the driver there, even got the notification 'it's not a digitally signed driver for w2k' etc. stuff,

..hope something here was helpful??, (y)

have a good day,
    daniel_b23804

13. Katzy

Katzy Thread Starter

Well, the manual for the reader, if you can call a four inch square sheet of paper a manual, said that XP would automatically detect the hardware and install the dirvers.

No, it didn't!

I had to figure out whether I had USB 1 or USB 2, before I could install. I eventually decided I had USB 1 and installed the drivers.Everything's so slooow. It was definitely this installation that's caused the delays.

Having had a trawl through the M$oft website, it would appear that this is, actually, a common probklem with USB installations...

14. slipe

slipe

If XP installs the camera so it shows as a drive it has installed the drivers. The only software that has to be installed is the viewer, and that evidently has to be updated to XP. If you had to install D-Shot drivers to get the camera recognized by the computer and had to install drivers for your card reader something is amiss.

If you know how to get into the BIOS make sure plug and play is active. XP Pro has recognized and installed drivers automatically for everything I have plugged into the USB ports. That includes two cameras, a card reader, printers and a graphics tablet. If the instructions say XP has the drivers for your card reader and that it is plug and play it should install when you plug it in. Maybe one of the links here will take you to something useful: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tr...hnol/winxppro/proddocs/pnp_driver_support.asp

I wouldn’t be surprised that a driver meant for another OS could be slowing the computer. If you can get plug and play working you have to get the old drivers off the computer and remove both devices from device manager and control panel before they will be detected. You might look in device manager to make sure the USB is OK, but it sounds like having the wrong drivers installed is causing you problems.

15. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

katzy,
    ..little more info,

katzy's camera = Fujifilm @xia IX-100
    slipe's link
    http://www2.fujifilm.co.uk/technical/
    > Home > Digital Cameras > @xia ix-100
    >more info takes you here:
    http://www2.fujifilm.co.uk/digital/cameras/ix100/index.php?flash=6

..but i found these direct links which should help some:
    introduction and index page:
    http://www2.fujifilm.co.uk/digital/cameras/ix100/index.php

manuals:
    @xia ix-100 Owners Manual (8.7 MB)
    http://www2.fujifilm.co.uk/digital/cameras/ix100/index.php?page=brochures
    ..on dial-up, mighty long time to download, :mad:, but they are in .pdf format, :)

drivers:
    FinePix Viewer V3.0 (PC) (24.2 MB) for Windows 98/ME/2K
    http://www2.fujifilm.co.uk/digital/cameras/ix100/index.php?page=drivers

..it does say xp isn't supported, :rolleyes:, BUT, drivers for w2k USUALLY work with xp, [??? sometimes not though!!!], might browse the install cd per my other post, install them and see, [i'm not guaranteeing no screw-ups though], :D :D

..as for the usb1/2 part, if you post your pc model #, or if it's custom-built, the mother board model # and someone should be able to help with that piece of info,

hope this helped,
    have a good day,
    daniel_b23804

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/179981

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice