1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Digital camera B/W shots

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by crazy craig, Dec 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crazy craig

crazy craig Thread Starter

I need a 3.2 digital camera that takes black & white shots. Also the greater the opitcal zoom the better. I have looked and looked and Iam about ready to go crazy. Any suggestions. I would like to stay in the $350 or below. One more, or can you do it with software. I am new to this and it's alittle overwhelming.
    Thanks....

2. Rhettman5.1

Rhettman5.1

You can convert to greyscale which will do the job.

Get Irfanview at http://www.irfanview.com/ it's freeware and about as good as it gets for what it does, after installing and opening a photo, click "image" then "convert to greyscale" poof B/W pict

I do have a Sony Cybershot that has a b/w option in settings, must be tons out there , but don't know of any off hand...bet someone here does tho :)...Rhett

3. kath100

kath100

4. wanabe_buck

wanabe_buck Guest

Most decent software will convert to greyscale or desaturate

buck

5. Rhettman5.1

Rhettman5.1

Handy program kath100 :) kind of like DC enhance, fast and to the point, I grabbed it :)

Edit : Good point Buck, whatever Camera he buys will probably include software to do just that . :)

6. kath100

kath100

7. crazy craig

crazy craig Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. you've answered my question now I can concentrate on a camera with a good Zoom.
    Thanks again ...................

8. slipe

slipe

If $350 is you total budget you will have a hard time finding a long zoom camera. I think the Minolta Z1 might be your best bet. The best price I see from a reasonably reliable retailer would come to $314 delivered. http://www1.dealtime.com/xPC-Minolta_Dimage_Z1~S-6~PG-1
    Review: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/Z1/Z1A.HTM

But you have to add the cost of a SD card. 128Mb would be minimum for taking shots at best quality. 256Mb would be better. You should be able to pick up a 128Mb card for $45, but that would take you a little over budget.

9. milomorai

milomorai

olympus has two cameras available that have an 8x and 10x optical zoom - 8x=38-304mm equiv; 10x=38-380mm equiv. the 8x is a c720(discontinued but still available and under $300) the 10x is there new one and is under $400. i got the c720 for my wife and she loves it. they are the two with the best optical zooms out there.

10. ahhoe

ahhoe

Panasonic FZ1

Good zooming also.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/184728

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice