1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Digital camera batteries

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by RonK, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RonK

RonK Thread Starter

I just bought a used HP digital camera (no manual) and the rechargeable batteries go dead real fast. I just noticed that the rechargeable AA batteries in the camera are only rated at 1.2 volts.
    They should be 1.5 volts each ??
    Do rechargeables intentionally have a reduced voltage for digital cameras ?
    I am a newbie at digital cameras so be gentle !
    Thanks
    Ron

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Ron
    Are there any model numbers on the camera so we can check the specs on it?

Dave

3. hewee

hewee

On rechargeable batteries you need to drain them all the way to get the best charge.
    My video camera has a button on the charger that does it for you and it says to use it once every 4 charges. My dig camera tells me to adjust the times it shuts off to a longer time and then just keep turning it on and letting it run down.

4. slipe

slipe

Certain battery types yield a given voltage per cell. Most equipment can tolerate the lower voltage of NiMH and NiCad batteries. Most cameras specify NiMH as the preferred battery. All NiMH cells are 1.2v – not by design but because of the chemistry of NiMH.

NiCad batteries require you to regularly fully discharge them so they will hold a full charge. NiMH do not work that way and are the more common batteries used in digital cameras. They say you might “recondition” NiMH batteries after many uses (like 50) by discharging them once in a device designed for that, but normal usage is usually fine. You would get shorter battery life completely discharging NiMH every use. In fact, most devices designed for NiMH will not allow them to fully discharge as that can harm them. That is the reason they should not be used in devices they are not designed for.

What is important is the mAH of NiMH batteries. I have seen them as low as 1100 with the best being 2200mAH. So a high capacity battery would have twice the life of a poor one – not even accounting for age deterioration. NiCad batteries aren’t very good in comparison to NiMH batteries, which is what you should be using.

Some people just have too high expectations of battery life on their first digital camera, and some older cameras were battery hogs. Everything might be normal, but you would probably extend your battery life by getting a set of 2200mAH PowerX batteries from Thomas: http://www.nimhbattery.com/

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The other thing about rechargeables, where more than 1 cell is used, is that of matched capacity.

Its very important that cells be matched. You should never use a mix of (say) 1800 mAh and a 2000mAh cells together. The lower capacity one will run down first, and then it gets reverse polarised by the remaining charged cell(s)

This damages the reversed polarised cell, giving a spectacularly short life.

6. RonK

RonK Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. I'll try the drain batteries then recharge. If still no good, I'll get the good ones.

Davey - The camera is an HP Photosmart 215

7. Davey7549

Davey7549

8. revson

revson

Another thing to extend battery life, be sure you have all non essential things turned off if possible, like sounds, flash, LCD etc.
    The flash feature eats a lot of juice every time you turn the camera on as it has to re-charge the power condenser every time.

9. zzz

zzz

just a note,
    I bought 2 sets of batteries (8) and a charger about 5 years ago.
    I'm still using those same batteries (1500's).
    Am on my second camera and have taken a "LOT" of pics with those batteries and they still work fine.
    (Just a tip for what it's worth)
    http://www.mahaenergy.com/
    zzz(hi Davey);)

10. Davey7549

Davey7549

Well what a surprise! Welcome my friend... Long time no hear from you! I hope life has been treating you and the wife kindly. I still have your pics you sent and every once and awhile I stick them in a slideshow and just sit back and dream my way into your part of the country!

Take care and will look for your postings.

Dave

11. RonK

RonK Thread Starter

Hey Davey,
    Thanks for the link - Learned a few things about digital cameras and batteries.

Hey ZZZ, Thanks for the links - I'm gonna git me some of them thar batteries and charger. If that still don't work I'll go back to throw away cameras. I find the only problem with the throw aways is - You have to remember not to throw it away too soon !
    Ron

12. snowmonkey

snowmonkey

Hi guys, been lurking around the site for a while now, and stumbled on this old post. I know little to nothing about dig cameras and batteries so hopefully someone can help:

I have a sony dscp72 which got quite wet over summer in a thunderstorm. like a fool, I switched it on to see if it was working before it dried out properly. now my batteries die really quickly. if I put a new set in and use the camera that day, battery drain appears to be normal, but if I go back to the camera a day later (when it has been switched off) they are dead. I thought it might have been the batteries but I bought some more and still have the same problem.

does it sound like i have fried something inside the camera when I switched it on?

cheers,

Ed

13. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Sounds like something is not turning off, and the batteries are draining.

Simple answer in the meantime would be to remove the batteries when not being used.

Interestingly most digicams have a small drain in the "off condition", of 1 or 2 mA. You must have 20 or 30 mA to drain that fast though.

14. hewee

hewee

Also check the camera setting for a auto off to see if that helps.

15. cjthib

cjthib

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169161

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice