1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

digital camera software install

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ladynimue, Feb 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ladynimue

ladynimue Thread Starter

HI
    I just bought new camera,instructions say diable antivirus program before installing quicktime5 part of disk....why and how?
    I have quicktime4 will that not do? Then it says if I have acrobat reader I can ignore installing acrobat reader5 ......mine is reader4
    wiyh my previous camera I just ran install disk with no problems

Ladynimue

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

ladynimue
    Not sure why you would be required to install Quicktime or Acrobat for the camera to work properly. They may just be added extras some companies throw in to make their product sound better. Can you supply the make and model of the camera so it can be investigated at Manufacturers website.

Dave

3. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    ladyminue and Dave:

That software is not necessary. As Dave said, it is bloat piled onto the CD to make the product more appealing. As Dave helped me in the past find out, the minimal you need is the drivers and the picture transfer software. Quicktime and Acrobat have nothing to do with the camera.

4. slipe

slipe

It is considered good practice to disable anti-virus before installing any program.

Ctrl+Alt+Del – press all 3 at the same time. Highlight your anti-virus and select “End task”. Ctrl+Alt+Del again and if it still there end task a second time. A few seconds later a dialog box will probably open and ask whether you really want to close the program – select “End task” again.

M$ obviously did not design it to require such effort, but many programs that think you don’t want to run without will do it that way since the end task procedure doesn’t have the normal “are you sure” box if it goes away the first time. You might have AV software that goes away with the first “end task”.

The AV software can usually be disabled from the software itself. But they all are a little different. The Ctrl+Alt+Del works for any program.

Your camera probably has a mode to make short movies and the QuickTime is to play it. If the movies will play fine without QuickTime I would not install it. Maybe your previous camera did not have a movie mode.

5. ladynimue

ladynimue Thread Starter

Hi
    camera is Olympus C220 zoom, I have on my computer quicktime4 and acrobat reader 4 so these should be alright anyway without updating them , should'nt they. If so then I will only need to download the driver and cameidia master 4.0 whatever that is . will not do anything untill I hear from you as I am already having problems with nero again and need to sort that first.

with thanks
    Ladynimue

6. slipe

slipe

You should be OK just installing the camera software. You can always update the other stuff later.

I really prefer Acrobat Reader 5, but any Acrobat file should read OK in version 4. With version 4 I don’t think you can use the wheel on your mouse as an example of the improvement in 5. But everything should read OK.

You will get a message when you use Quicktime if you need a newer version for the file you are reading, but I don’t think that is likely.

7. ladynimue

ladynimue Thread Starter

Hi
    thanks ,I will install only the basics and see how it goes from there,if I need to update anything I can do it later
    thanks again
    Ladynimue

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116888

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice