Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Digital Identity Protection

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Firehammer 
#1 ·
My anti-virus program, Bitdefender, offers digital identity protection. Is something like this worth getting? Some of the features include checking to see if my personal information was exposed in the Dark Web; detect my social media impersonators; find my private information online in both legal and illegal collection of data; monitor my social security number and email address, etc; let me know about any new breaches or privacy threats.

It sounds good, but I would have to give them such things as my social security number for monitoring purposes, and I'm very uncomfortable doing so. Is there a way for me to monitor my Social Security Number, phone number and email address myself to see where they may be exposed? What do you recommend?

Thank you.

#2 ·
detect my social media impersonators; find my private information online in both legal and illegal collection of data; monitor my social security number and email address
I was never offered this service, I use BitDefender Internet Security. Are you sure it came from BitDefender ? Seems like a good excuse for getting your PII, I fear an imposter. If the offer was made again, I would refuses it if I were you.

#5 ·
I haven't told Bitdefender that I don't use their anti-virus program for my desktop, only for my iphone. I suppose I can still use their DIP on my desktop? The hesitation I have is that Bitdefender isn't a U.S. based company and it's located in Eastern Europe. I wouldn't want them having my Social Security Number, since this part of the world is well known for hackers/hucksters.

#7 ·
Thank you so much, but I'm very leery of a company based in Eastern Europe having my private information, considering all of the cyber attacks and hacks U.S. companies and government agencies have suffered lately from that part of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.