Digital image dpi

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ummaof2

I want to use a digital camera image to have printed on something from a company online. Their guidelines say that as long as the image is scanned at at least 300 dpi, it will print OK. However, I have the image already on my computer and I don't know the resolution of it. How can I find that out? The photo programs I have don't tell me the dpi, and right clicking on it and choosing "properties" doesn't help either.

Just divide one of the dimensions you want to print in inches by the pixels in the same dimension. Obviously a 400 X 600 pixel image printed at 4 X 6 inches is 100 DPI. 800 X 1200 printed at 4 X 6 would be 200 DPI.

If dividing both dimensions does not give the same answer you will have to disregard the higher DPI as some will have to be trimmed off to print at the desired size.

200 DPI will print fine and 150 isn’t terrible. 300 is just preferred.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online