1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

digital photography,...which format is best ?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by yomaddog, Nov 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yomaddog

yomaddog Thread Starter

Anyone know about digital-photography ?

Here's the deal:

My wife uses several devices & editing programs,...each have their own "save-as" with a drop-down menu of different formats...she has been using .jpg, but losses quality when resizing, & editing... & not all of them have the same format choices,... anyway, heres a list of her various hardware & software with each of their available formats,...

digital camera--- .jpg

scanner--------- .jpg .bmp .tif .pcx .png .gif .fpx

all editing software- .jpg .bmp .tif .pcx .png .gif .tga .psf

P.S.--- does image quality deteriorate when changing formats ?

What's your advice?

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

yomaddog
    Jpeg will lose quality every time it is compressed and decompressed. The dilemma is the digital camera stores in Jpeg to save size on storage media. If you are going to do many changes and save/opens then the best you can do is convert the jpeg immediately to a bmp and do all your work saves and so on in bmp format until the final product is rendered then save as Jpeg for future use.
    Note: there is no quality loss in bmp format.
    Dave

3. yomaddog

yomaddog Thread Starter

Awwww-shucks,...

...now that I have an answer for her, I gotta get off this thing...

-but thanks,..your gonna save me a lot of photo-paper!!!

4. jbcalg

jbcalg

similar to what davey said

i use photoshop and save in their format (.psd) from the camera's jpg

do all the sizing, enhancements, etc, then save final product back into jpg for web based product and .tif for print shop quality work and production

5. slipe

slipe

I use TIFF because it is loseless and universal. My film scanner gives a 30Mb scan and I was using LZW compression with TIFF but they took too long to decompress in bunches.

Good tutorial: http://www.scantips.com/basics09.html

6. Kirkland

Kirkland

I'm still a bit mystified as to why your camera doesn't let you select .bmp or some other format? Next time, click on the arrow in the "SAVE AS" window: clicking the arrow usually lets you choose which format.

And as has been advised, I "save" ~everything~ to my .bmp "storage" folder. From there, I copy the originals to a "works in progress" folder.
    **Keeping your original bitmaps also lets you go back to them for as many copies as you need without corrupting the original scan/digital camera image/copy.
    ***Whenever you need to do some work, do it from your "works in progress" folder. Do the workups then save the finished work to an "output folder." That way, you'll never corrupt the orginal scans/images.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59426

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice