1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Digital rights management problem

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by sarahm, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sarahm

sarahm Thread Starter

I am having a problem with the digital rights management. I'm running WMP 11. When I try to watch the licenced content WMP opens and another window opens asking me to login. When I login am told that I have successfully downloaded the licence and I must wait 15seconds then close the window and press play in WMP. When I do this I am asked to login again and the same thing happens.

I have tried to do the above steps after disabling my anti virus software and making sure all firewalls are turned off. I have also followed in detail the steps recommended by the site to ensure that I can download the licences.

So, it seems that the site recognizes my computer and allows me to download the licences, but my computer is either blocking the licence or is unable to read the licences.

I would appreciate any suggestions or help from anyone who has had or is having a problem like this.

Thanks a lot,
    Sarah

2. sarahm

sarahm Thread Starter

Hi, I just want to quickly update what I've tried since posting:

I tried:-

-Re-individualize my WMP.
    -Use a DRM Reset tool.
    -In Documents and Settings---> show hidden files and folders--->rename DRM folder.
    I tried to watch the licenced content after this. A new folder "DRM" was created.
    (so, it appears as though my computer is downloading the licences, but WMP is failing to read them)

Before posting:-
    --I uninstalled my anti-virus software and re-installed. Making sure the site I purchased the DRM'd content from is in a 'Safe List'.
    --Rolled back to a previous version of WMP. (I am now using WMP11 again after this didn't help fix the problem)

3. StewartL

StewartL

I have a problem in that video aken on my own camera will not play. it appears to want a licence. The sound play.
    The video clips played the first time bit thumbnails are now black.
    any ideas anyone?

I cant locate my drm folder

4. sarahm

sarahm Thread Starter

Sorry, I can't help you with this. It seems odd that you would need a licence for video from your camera.

Have you tried to update your media player.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I copied and pasted the below from another thread on this site.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Go to this folder: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM

- Open Explorer to C:\Documents And Settings
    - Click on Tools | Folder Options
    - Click on the View TAB, and select "Show Hidden Files And Folders"
    - Click Ok
    - Click the "All Users" folder
    - Rename the DRM folder to DRMOld

If the DRM folder still can't be found:
    a. Click on Tools | Folder Options
    b. Click on the View TAB, and Uncheck "Hide Protected operating system files (Recommended)"
    c. Rename the DRM folder to DRMOld
    Note: you can undo the View Options changes outlined in Step (b) if you want.

5. ViprXX

ViprXX

you could try checking your wmp privacy options and make sure "download usage rights automatically..." is selected and could mess with other privacy settings to see if it helps.

6. sarahm

sarahm Thread Starter

Thanks, I tried that. But still the same problem.

This is what the site that issues the Digital Rights recommends in their FAQ.

In Windows Media Player.
    Tools > Options>Player Tab; ensure that both “Download codecs automatically” and “Connect to the Internet” are chosen.
    > Privacy Tab; ensure that the top four boxes are check marked.
    >Clear your History and Caches.
    > Security Tab>Zone Settings >Default, and Apply.
    > File Types Tab, Select All, and Apply.
    > Network Tab; Under "Streaming Protocols", un-check the first three protocols and then check-mark all four protocols.
    Streaming Proxy Settings: Choose “Autodetect” for each and Apply.

In Internet Explorer
    Tools > Internet Options> Privacy>Default
    > Security Tab>Default.
    > General (delete your Cookies and Temp Internet Files, including all Offline Content).

I have followed these steps countless times.

The problem might've started after I replaced my HD... (this might be unimportant)
    and my anti-virus software used to alert me that a computer was trying to access my network (sorry, I don't remember which. But I think it was 'wireless network', which I don't use.) I used to block the computer.
    I used an IP address tool to find out who it was and discovered it was the company that supplies my internet connection.
    Since I replaced my hard drive, I no longer get this message.

I don't know if any of this info is of any help. Maybe it is a coincidence?

7. StewartL

StewartL

This (above) worked!!!!!

"If the DRM folder still can't be found:
    a. Click on Tools | Folder Options
    b. Click on the View TAB, and Uncheck "Hide Protected operating system files (Recommended)"
    c. Rename the DRM folder to DRMOld
    Note: you can undo the View Options changes outlined in Step (b) if you want."

Both video and audio working.
    I suspected a corrupt DRM but couldn't locate it.

I may be back with what appears to a related topic.
    When copying photos/video to DVD +RW the session gets closed and it is not possible to add to it. Ued to work before this DRM problem.

Many thanks folk
    Stewartl

8. sarahm

sarahm Thread Starter

Glad that's worked out for you!

I followed the steps (ie: re-naming the DRM Folder)
    Then, tried to watch the licenced content.
    A window in WMP opened telling me WMP needs a compontent to be downloaded.

After I downloaded this, I checked the new DRM folder that the downloaded component created.

I did this so I can see if there are any additional files in the DRM folder after I login.

When I login in, I am informed that ' A licence is being delivered to your computer. Please wait 15 seconds, close this window, then press play on Windows Media Player'.

(when I wait 15 seconds, close the window, press play, WMP says 'connecting to media...', then 'downloading media usage rights..' and then I must login as above.

It seems that when I close the window after waiting 15 seconds, that I stop the whole process and when I press play, I start again from the beginning.)

I then checked the new DRM folder to see if there are any 'new files' (ie. the licence)
    But, there are no new files.

What does a licence look like? Should I be able to see it in the DRM folder?

Thanks

9. sarahm

sarahm Thread Starter

I have a couple of questions if anyone can help me out:

1) How do I back up my registry?

2) I found the 'revocation list', 'licence' and 'licences' here.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Search Assistant\ACMru\5603

Should I delete the 'revocation list', 'licence' and 'licences'?

3) When a licence is downloaded to a computer, what file type is it?
    Is it stored in the DRM folder?

Thanks.

10. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

DRM = don't replay music

11. sarahm

sarahm Thread Starter

DRM = Dodgy Runts Microsoft

12. sarahm

sarahm Thread Starter

I have come to this conclusion:

The site that issues the licences (digital rights) recognises my password (and my money)
    but I the licences never make it to my computer.

Does anyone know why this would be?

Thanks

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!