1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Digital to Analog convertor?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by kungfuturtle, Jun 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kungfuturtle

kungfuturtle Thread Starter

Hi there, I have just got a new digital box to replace my broken one. Porblem is my old one had the red/white cables (RCA?) whereas the new has a S/PDIF Digital out hole. Haven't come across digital as of yet and I was wondering If I could get a cheap wire convertor that just changed the digital to the red/white cables so I can hook it up to the sound sytem. Can't seem to find any but I'm sure they exist. There seems to be a covertor for everything these days! :)

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Is the "hole" a TOSLINK optical or coaxial electrical output?

3. kungfuturtle

It doesn't look like either. In fact it looks like a standard hole for a jack. I was confused as I was looking where the audio cable would go and the only spare hole had a picture of two circles. Looked at the manual and it said it was a digital audio out. But a standard jack fits in there, guess i'lll have to test it when I get an aerial in there.

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    That makes two of us. :D

Can you find any on-line documentation for your "new digital box", whatever that may be? That might give us a better idea of what we are dealing with.

5. kungfuturtle

:p Here's a picture of the hole, hopefully it's clear enough

Also got the aerial working and what I said before didn't work so hopefully you can make something of this picture.

Thanks in advance

[​IMG]

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Picture was clear enough to figure out the connector. Your digital audio output jack looks like a standard RCA phono jack for a coaxial cable digital audio output.

Is that a SCART socket on the right in your photo? If so, it probably should have 2 channel (basic stereo) analog audio outputs. You would just need a cable with a SCART plug on one end and the correct plugs on the other end to hook up to your TV and audio system.

7. kungfuturtle

Okay, I have one of those. So I hook the digi box up to the tv as normal and then use that to hook up the tv to the sound system? So this give me audio for both the digi box and Tv through the sound system?

Thanks

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I could not even begin to give you yes or no answer without knowing, in detail, what kind of input and output jacks you have on your TV and sound system and how you plan to interconnect them and your new digital box.

9. kungfuturtle

Well at the moment the sound system has a DVD player so a scart runs from the sound system to the TV which makes the TV work through the sound system. A scart then goes from the digi box to the TV and there's a spare scart thats says AUX/VCR. Now i tried plugging the sound system via scart to the digi box. This worked but the back speakers just squealed :/

Also the sound system has red/white hole so was going to connect the digi box to it that way. That is how I have done before but sinc this new digi box uses that digital hole I can't

I have a RCA jack to the red/white but I tried this and it didn't work. Do I need something else, as would this be a betetr way to go?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!