1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Digital to analog TV conversion

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by Tina24, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tina24

Tina24 Thread Starter

Please have patience with a still confused old lady. I have analog cable service and 3 analog TV's. One TV is dying and I'd like to replace it with a DTV in preperation for the transition. But I hate dealing with my cable provider and don't want to upgrade my service to digital right now if I can avoid it especially since they will probably convert to all digital anyway. My question is will a DTV recieve the cable analogue signal or would I need an analog to digital converter box and do they even make them?

TIA, Tina24

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Most DTV's have a standard NTSC tuner as well as the ATSC tuner, so you probably can freely connect the new set.

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I don't subscribe to digital either (Time Warner Cable). However, I noticed when I bought an HD TV with NTSC/ATSC tuner I am able to receive all of the digital content that I don't pay extra for. :)

Note: Before you get all excited about getting digital for nothing... I get regular analog, digital HD and music channels but still no pay channels like HBO, Showtime, etc.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If the set also has a QAM tuner, you can get the free HD content from many cable suppliers.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700032

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice