1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dim screen after water spilled on keyboard. Need help!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Discopumper, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Discopumper

Discopumper Thread Starter

Dell Inspiron 15 7559 Gaming Laptop PC, Intel i7-6700HQ Quad Core Processor, 16 GB RAM, 1TB HDD+128 GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5, win 10

Hi guys,
    before some months i spilled some Water on my notebook.
    About 3 days afterwards, when i startet the notbook, i noticed that the screen was dim and flickering. I could still use it, but only in a dark place. i found that it wasnt a software problem. Asked an experienced friend about it and he said that there was a problem with the hardware and we found the place with the problem( i uploaded the pictures). it looks like its burned. He told me that this could be repaired easily by someone who has the right equipment, he didnt have them, so he couldnt do it. When i asked the pros they told me they have to look on the mainboard first, the pictures i made were not enough( maybe there could be other problems). And even for opening it up they wanted much money. Could someone please give me some advice what i should do now or does anyone know what to do. Is this even repairable? Or is there any different way to solve this problem.
    I am studying architecture, without my notebook i'm dead.
    Pleeeeeeease help I appreciate all advice.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  2. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    Since you already extracted the PC boards, using Isopropyl Alcohol (>90%), use a soft brush and "gently" clean the PC boards. Use a soft fiber cloth to mop up excess fluid.

Discopumper likes this.
  3. Discopumper

We already did that. But it didnt change anything:-/

4. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    That's not good. Put the chassis back together making sure the interconnections are also cleaned and then snugged.

Look in the BIOS and see if you can increase and decrease the luminosity from there. If yes, boot in to Windows.

Then see if you can use the Dell HotKeys to increase and decrease the luminosity.

If the screen still flickers well... it may be on its deathbed.

Discopumper likes this.
  5. Discopumper

:(( ok i will try thanks for the help

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Sadly I think your friend was correct.

Looking at IMG_4582 there seems to be a cracked component and 2 solder pads that could have had a component on them that's disintegrated. You would need a hot air station and a circuit diagram or some other way to check what components need replacing. Even then if the board is charred it could have become conductive and that might not be fixable.

Unless you can find someone willing to try to fix it for a decent price (which is highly unlikely) you're looking at a new motherboard at the very least.

I think you would be better off getting a new laptop.

Discopumper likes this.
  7. Discopumper

Thank you for the advice.
    I will just try my best. I hope i find a way to repair it:-/

8. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    If you connect an external monitor or tv to the laptop, can you see the images better?
    Of course if the video chip on the board has a problem, the external monitor would have the same video problem. Butperhaps the brightness on the external can be increased more than the laptop allows.

Discopumper likes this.
  9. Discopumper

The screen brightness on the external monitor was alright, there was no problem. There i first thought that its maybe a hardware problem, and so it was.....
    On my laptop i cant increase or decrease the brightness its always dim:/

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223037

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice