1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Dim screen on Lenovo ideapad 500

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nevek, Feb 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nevek

nevek Thread Starter

My son hit some key on my laptop that turned the screen dim and I have been unable to make it brighter. Device manager says the monitor and display drivers are up to date. The display says that the screen is at 100% brightness but brightness doesn't change when I change that. Windows 10.

2. nevek

nevek Thread Starter

Perhaps it would be helpful to add that on start-up it is always dim. It is not a case of starting bright and turning dim.

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Try the steps in this video :-

4. nevek

nevek Thread Starter

Thanks. Unfortunately that did not work. Enable was not an option, so I first clicked on disable, and then on enable, and re-started, but the monitor is still dim.

5. nevek

nevek Thread Starter

The second video worked! I first tried updating the intel graphics adapter driver, which didn't work, but when I switched to the generic Microsoft driver, then it worked. Interestingly, that was also how I recently fixed the webcam not working.

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Glad you got it sorted. I think I saw the video you used.

(if/when you are sure it's fixed please mark this thread 'Solved')

EDIT : might be a good idea to prevent Windows updating drivers so it always uses that Microsoft one for the display. You can do it using the method at this link headed 'Disable Automatic Download of Drivers from Windows Update' about half way down the webpage :- http://www.howtogeek.com/223864/how-to-uninstall-and-block-updates-and-drivers-on-windows-10/

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1167026

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice