1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dimms 256 dimm shows as 128

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by theporg, Jan 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theporg

theporg Thread Starter

I have a tecram M/B with three dimm slots allowing up to 768 MHz of PC 100 Memory. I have tried a PC133 256 Dimmwhich works ok but only shows up as a 128 Dimm on POST. The manual makes no suggestions other than bung it in. I was under the immpresion than PC133 was backwards compatible any ideas why?:confused:

2. Hairy

Hairy

not <B><U>All</B></U> is......

" PC133 Modules are NO LONGER backward compatible with PC100 Machines.
    To determine the correct memory upgrade for your machine, use the PNY memory configurator on this page."

3. slawless

slawless

Some older system can only see a certain "chip density" that is divide the total memory on the stick by the number of black chips on the stick. Some systems such as one of mine will only see 16mb per ship. for a 256mb stick you would need 16 chips. from the way you describe the memory you have 32 mb/chip (8chips) or 64mb/chip (4chips). go to crucial. com they will tell you the memory your system needs. Of coures, they are trying to sell you memory, but it is a good reference site and they do make good memory.

Steve L

4. foufoutos

foufoutos

5. Party Boy

Party Boy

Basically older boards will recognise up to 128mb of single sided RAM (ie chips on 1 side of the stick) and up to 256mb of double sided RAM, this sounds like the problem you have.

I get alot of phone calls about this :eek:

6. theporg

theporg Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. Slawless both sticks have got 8 chips onboard? I will have a look at the crucial site if only to bottom out the problem. foufoetos yours is another site I will be browsing. Party boy both sticks are one sided the 256 and the 128. Once again thanks for the suggestions.:D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!