1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DIMM's, RAID, and other Building-a-Pc-Questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Codemaster, Sep 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Codemaster

Codemaster Thread Starter

Hello,
    I have for quite some time now been waiting to build my own PC. I have friends to help me, Magazines, books and websites. However I would like to make sure that I have a few things right before I order everything, here they are:

(btw I'm pretty much copying the PC they made all out in PC Magazine on Sept. 16 2003, so the majority of questions will be about things from there)

1.) On the Abit IC7-G Motherboard, and the Two Western Digital Raptor WD360's, they used a RAID 0 configuration. However, I would only like to buy 1 Hardrive for now. Is it possible to not have a RAID set up until I have my PC built and then install the second HD when the money comes around?

2.) They also say the Motherboard supports SATA, I've read up on it a bit, but don't quite understand it. Is it necessary? How will it help/hurt me If I don't have it?

3.) They use Kingston HyperX PC3200 DIMM memory. I looked on the motherboard and it said it supported up to 4 GB DDR RAM. Would I be able to get that much if I use the RAM that they used? Or Would I be able to use another type of RAM and get more?

4.) I need some websites where you people buy your PC parts, cause I looked for PC3200 memory and I can't seem to find it anywhere, but If I can get more max memory with a different type, then please recommend it. Just some websites where the prices are good would be highly welcomed.

Thanks, Sorry if its a bit uh...jurbled I guess, and I'll try to repeat something if you don't understand it. Thanks a lot.

P.S. 5.) I don't want to go with the 3 GHz P$, as I'd much prefer to go with a 2.2 or 2.4 GHz since its much cheaper and I could always upgrade later, would it fit the motherboard and would everything fit together?

P.S.S. Goal: To get a 2.2/2.4 GHz with 1+GB (I want to MAX it would as I get my paychecks) with a video card that I will upgrade later.

Thanks again!

2. RSM123

RSM123

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, unless you have a real good reason for it, I don't recommend the RAID setup. With the typical cheap MB RAID controller, your data is less safe than with a single drive. If you must have two disks, have one in a USB 2.0 case and use it for backup!

4. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

Yes, the Abit IC7-G MoBo supports all of the "478" P4 chips,so picking out a cheaper one would be smart.

In order of your questions:
    1.Yes,you can install 1 Hard-Drive and add another at any time.
    2.SATA stands for "Serial"ATA format Hard-Drives.Expensive in some respects,and probably not what you are looking for.No,you don't need it,and no,it won't hurt to NOT have one.
    3.PC3200 DDR is an "overclocked" form of PC2700 DDR.Basically,PC2700 is used on systems that support a 333mhz Front Side Bus (FSB)while PC3200 is pumped up a bit to handle 444mhz.There is a $5 difference for 512 sticks,from what I see on the current market(PC3200 is higher),both will work on this board,but I would recommend the PC2700.4 sticks would save you about $20 and a possible headache.Spend the extra $20 on coolers...
    4.For new parts,I'd go to:
    Memory: (they have both PC2700 and PC3200)
    http://www.1stchoicememory.com
    Other "parts":
    http://direct.mwave.com/mwave/index.hmx?

5. Codemaster

Oh yes, and they also state that the motherboard uses a 800Mhz FSB, I'm pretty sure thats why they chose that memory, so would I still be better off getting PC2700 instead of PC3200?

And also, what would you guys recomend for a 5.1 surround soundcard? Preferably the cheapest, but if the cheapest is pure crap I'll go up a bit. (this is just so I can sit my dad down in my room, click play on my dvd player and have him blown awya when enter the matrix pops up on the screen :D )
    Speaking of screens, I'm looking for a good 17-18+" one (I'm a gamer, so smaller is useless) preferably not too pricey either. THanks again

I love TSG

6. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

7. Codemaster

uh huh....

I see: "4 184-pin DIMM sockets
    Maximum of 4GB of DDR400/333/266 SDRAM with ECC"

So in order to get MAX ram, I should use DDR400 or do they make PC2700 in 1 GB er...chips or whatever they should be refered to as.

I wanna keep the 800MHz FSP, and this confuses me:
    Bus speeds
    FSB: 100-412MHz in 1MHz increments
    AGP: fixed @ 66MHz
    PCI: fixed @ 33MHz

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165078

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice