'Dinosaur' Computers

NegativeKelvin

I got kind of bored, so I decided to start a thread about "dinosaur" computers (aka really old computers).

My ancient computer:

Make: Packard Bell
Model: Legend 833DX
Year: 1991

CPU: 33MHZ
Hard drive: 85MB
RAM: 4MB
Screen Resolution: 1024x768
Networking: Internal Dial-up modem
Software: Prodigy, Lotus Works, Windows 3, DOS
(it runs, too :D )
Here's a pic: http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/2179/dscn01001.jpg

pyritechips

Jim
Gone but Never Forgotten
Please resize your photo so that it is a maximum 800x600 pixels. It is far too large for proper viewing.

ekim68

Mike
Nice, I remember those....(y) I have a Franklin CX circa 1982 with 64k of RAM and an 8088 CPU....No hard drive but two 5-1/4 floppy drives for both the programs and the data....BTW it still works, but I have to be real careful with the floppies...:cool:
And another BTW, it's Apple Language...;)
(I'll try to post a picture soon..)

Tandy 1000

256 K of memory with the new 3-1/2 floppy drive but I got a 5-1/4 floppy drive I added because so much software was on 5-1/4 floppy disk still. No hard drive.
Used TV setting and converter so I could used the tv as the monitor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tandy_1000

ozziebeanie

Serena
I remember my first computer, used to crash because I had to many applications open, and only had something like around 60 or 80 something mb of ram

I had to clean out all the crap daily sometimes several times, so the computer would run slightly faster, with dial up internet, as the local exchange had not updated to ADSL at the time.

I must have had more patience then, I think I would go crazy using that again.

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
I have a working Apple IIe, monitor, Duodisk drives and printer collecting dust.

dai

the first we bought was from memory a sharp had the latest a cassette drive it was before the floppies and hard drives you had to put everything by dos

there were simple programs available on cassette i.e. 2+2 ect.

from there we went to the vic 20 the commodore 32 then the commodore 64 then to the AT models

NegativeKelvin

Last weekend I got the most interesting computer. I got a Texas Instruments TI-99. I'm now trying to obtain a power cable

ozziebeanie

Serena
What wattage is it can you take a picture of where the plug would go into that machine so we can see what the end should look like

valis

i got an apple newton, does that count? :)

I know I have cp/m disks somewhere, but I think they are in storage, and frankly probably toast by now......

HOBOcs

Jim
Interesting topic - just came accross mike's post today.

I still have my original Sinclair zx81 bought in the 80's (an original before hey changed the name to "Timex Sinclair" - memory packs (16K) were slapped on the back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX81

I had to dig it out and see it was still alive.

Prior to that I did use a "Commodore Pet" (70's) - we used it for a business application for a farmer to keep track of sows and their pigglets - it got pretty sophisticated.
Other computers I had my hands on .... Compaq Portable (Luggable), Apple II (used visicalc - excel like), then the Lisa and finally the MacIntosh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts