1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

DIR-655 and telnet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DIR-655, Jul 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DIR-655

DIR-655 Thread Starter

Hi, I am having trouble connecting to my new DIR-655 with telnet, does this router support telnet? Or am i doing something wrong, i can connect to my adsl router which is linked to the DIR-655 but i cannot connect to D-Link DIR-655.

"Connecting To 192.168.0.1...Could not open connection to the host, on port 23: Connect failed"

^^^Thats my error

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm not aware of any capability of the DIR-655 to support Telnet. Did you look in the manual? I don't see that capability.

3. DIR-655

DIR-655 Thread Starter

Ok is there anything else like telnet that would work for the router because i want to split my international and local traffic. Or am i f***ed?

4. JohnWill

First off, leave the profanity at the door, that is not acceptable here.

I don't quite understand how Telnet access to the router is going to separate your traffic.

Maybe it would be better to present the issue you're trying to solve and then we can see if we can figure out a resolution.

5. DIR-655

DIR-655 Thread Starter

Sorry about that.

Ok well I do not know alot about telnet, some guys were helping my on my gaming forum, but i just cant seem to get telnet to connect. So what i imagine what i need to do, is set-up the routing tables in telnet so that my local and international traffic is explain. The guy that was helping me helped set this up which will probably explain everything. http://sites.google.com/site/localrouter/home

Hope u can help me out :)

Thanks

6. JohnWill

AFAIK, your router doesn't offer a telnet connection, and I'm not sure exactly what issue he's resolving on that page. There is no telnet access to the DIR-655 anyway.

If you have one ISP connection, how do you route different traffic anyway? I guess I just don't get what is being attempted here. You've got one pipe, and all your Internet traffic would see that it has to go through it.

7. DIR-655

DIR-655 Thread Starter

8. JohnWill

Note that he is talking about two separate ISP connections, not a single connection. The DIR-655 is not a dual-WAN router, so that isn't an option. And, you didn't mention two ISP accounts, is that what you have?

9. DIR-655

DIR-655 Thread Starter

I have two ISP accounts yes. It is very much possible. I do not need a dual wan router. What i need to do is put my router into bridge mode, the i dial up to the router with two connections (one for local and one for international bandwidth). Then routesentry splits the local and international bandwidth so you dont need a dual wan router

10. JohnWill

I'm not getting how you'd ever use the DIR-655 with two ISP connections, so I guess I'm at a loss.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!