Direct 3D/Drivers going crazy...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mguitar

I'm having a lot of trouble running any 3d games and could really use some help. Whenever I launch an app, as soon as I get past the launcher screens (if applicable) and the game attempts to start, I get the windows error message "blahblah.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close." A reboot used to fix it, but now no such luck. So I ran the Direct3D tests under dxdiag and when I did the cube was spinning faster than a tazmanian devil! (Im using DirectX 9.0c). So I run dxsetup.exe from a game disk to reinstall it. And Im not sure if this is normal, but it automatically just installed it, which seemed kinda weird as I was expecting a "detected version already installed, do you want to repair it?" or something like that. Anyway, after a restart that still didnt fix it, so I completely uninstalled/reinstalled my graphics drivers. After a reboot that did fix the problem. Now, I went to start up a game today and it's doing it again! Only, this time all the past steps won't fix it. And now the Direct3D cube spins normally but no apps will launch. Could it be my card crapping out on me?

Here's my rig if it helps:
Windows XP Pro SP2
Asus A7N8X
AMD Athlon XP 2.0 GHz
1.25 GB DDR-RAM
80GB Primary Harddrive / 250GB Secondary
128 MB ATI Radeon 9500
Soundblaster Live! 5.1

mguitar

Set the card to 4X instead of 8X. See if that fixes the problem.
Ok, I changed the AGP to 4x (I assume that's what you meant) using the smartgart setting in catalyst control center. Now when I launch a game it flashes on screen for about ½ second then crashes with no error messages. When I run the Direct3D tests both 7 & 8 run normally, but 9 immediately crashes me to desktop and closes down the dxdiag screen. The card is AGP 8x, running in an 8x slot btw.

mguitar

Could really use some help here. I've tried everything I can think of. Reinstalled the newest version of DirectX 9.0c from a clean boot & even tried different ATI drivers, still nothing. :/

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online