1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Direct 3d nightmares

Discussion in 'Games' started by Toll, Oct 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Toll

Toll Thread Starter

Hi TSG's,

Various applications have been hanging and performing illegal ops.

Processor intel p4 2.4
    512 mb ram
    nvidia geforce2 mx/mx 400 64mb
    mboard is asus p4s533-e
    direct x version now is 9.0b

Dxdiag is showing me the following probs
    Direct3D 7 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x80004005 (Generic failure)
    Direct3D 8 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8876086c (error code)
    Direct3D 9 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8876086c (error code)

I have installed direct x 9.0b
    and uninstalled graphics card drivers and deleted the nvidia folder, downloaded the latest drivers from nvidia and reinstalled them. I am still getting the above failures.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated, I have been putting up with these probs for way too long as I am able to play some games in open gl.

Thanks

PT

2. JayTheHun

JayTheHun

I'm running that same reference card in my system. Mind you, I'm switching to ATI since nVidia's drivers have pretty much sucked for the past two versions or so.

Basically, I would download and install a new set of drivers from www.nvidia.com .

3. Toll

Toll Thread Starter

Thanks mate I have done that already with no joy, any other suggestions?

PT

4. JayTheHun

JayTheHun

By some chance does your motherboard have onboard video that may be conflicting with your installed card?

5. Toll

Toll Thread Starter

Jay ta again,

How do I determine if the motherboard has onboard video, forgive the ignorance,

pt

6. flyeater

flyeater

check your device manager for conflicts including onboard video

7. Bryusk

Bryusk

Hello Toll, I noticed your post yesterday as you seemed to be having exactly the same problems as me. Changing graphics drivers, directX etc all the usual stuff didn't work until i installed the latest motherboard drivers, which seems to have sorted it out now.

8. JayTheHun

JayTheHun

There are a couple of ways...

1) Check the manual for your motherboard. If you own a namebrand computer, give their Tech Support a call and they can tell you quickly.

2) If you're familiar with entering your BIOS setup screen and navigating within there, you can likely find some reference to it, if it exists.

Jay

9. flyeater

flyeater

To find a massive amount of system info including moterboard manufacter, chipset manufacter, bios version, direct x version, etc. grab a copy of the free version of Belarc Advisor
    This will allow you print a wealth of info right from your browser window.

10. Toll

Toll Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions guys,

Its a work in progress now, I will let you know how it pans out.

PT

11. Toll

Toll Thread Starter

Problem Solved!!!

Thanks again for all the help lads,
    I ended up downloading drivers from ASUS.com and that fixed it instantly......
    wd Bryusk.

Muchas Gracias

PT

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173496

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice