1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Direct Connect help please!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by bobrf, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobrf

bobrf Thread Starter

Hi can any one help me? I live in Cyprus and have had adsl installed for the sole purpose of using Direct Connect and Kazaa.
    A few months ago it worked to a certain extent ie. I sometimes had download speeds of 10+KB/sec which is poor, but now I only get a max of 2KB/sec!.
    When I download files from other sites ie Download.com the files transfer at an acceptable 30-40KB/sec. Can you tell why I get this poor transfer rate from Direct Conect and Kazza.
    Also I use MSN Mesenger to chat with friends in the UK and when they try to send me picture files (Usually around 34k max) I get the following message.

"We could not send this file because the connection is blocked. Please contact your system administrator or Internet service provider; they may be able to enable file transfers."

When I speak to the Cyprus "help line" They tell me adsl does not support file transfers - ???

I am desperate for help please!

2. Alanspatz

Alanspatz

You probly havee a firewall on your computer system. sometimes that will block incoming files.

aj

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I suspect the explanation is pretty simple, it's a matter of what kind of service or individual you're connecting to. If it's another typical user with the same lashup, you're limited to his upstream speed. My cable service has 256k/1.5m up/down speeds. When I upload, i occasionally hit 30kb/sec sending files, but I regularly see 150-170kb/sec receiving from major sites. However, when I FTP from my friend a few miles from me, also with the same service, we get 25-30kb/sec. I have plenty of additional download bandwidth, but he's maxed out on his sending bandwidth.

4. Stos

Stos

also, what are you connecting to your ISP at? If its less than 1.4Mbs then you probably have something wrong with the line or you don't have filters on the rest of your phone lines, if thats the case I would say call your ISP and see what they say about it. I had the problem of orginally only connecting at around 856kbs when I first got the ADSL because of the line filters... and they say that you need something like 75% free resources for your adsl modem to work right, at least that's what they said about mine.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118096

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice