1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Direct connect Winxp to Win98

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jashar, Aug 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jashar

jashar Thread Starter

) I connected the two computers with a serial cable

2) I ran the direct connection (wizard) on the windows 98 machine, setting it to be the host and to listen on COM1. It waits patiently for the connection to be established.

3) I ran the new connection wizard on the XP machine. I selected the "advanced connection" option for connecting two machines directly using a Serial cable, and I set the XP machine to be the guest so that it "dials in" to the 98 machine. It says the connection was created OK and puts an icon for it on my desktop.

4) I run the connection icon on my XP desktop, it prompts me for a user name and password. I leave them blank and click "connect". It connects, and puts an icon in my notification tray saying "connected at 19kbps". On the host machine (Win 98) the "waiting to connect" dialog changes to "now connected". Both computers now show data transferring across the network connection.

Unfortunately, now that my connection is established, I can't find the remote computer anywhere on the XP machine. There's nothing new in "my computer" nor in "my network places" and when I click on the connection itself, all I get is the data transfer status. How can I go from this network connection to browsing the files on the windows 98 machine from the XP machine?

I have "file and printer sharing" installed on both machines with it enabled on both machines and the root drives of both machines are shared.

Tried reversing but Win 98 trys to connect to winxp machine and has failure. I need files off old win98 laptop, no usb, no ethernet.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Have you tried configuring the XP machine as the host and the W98 as the client?

3. jashar

jashar Thread Starter

It claims there is no cable attached when I make xp a host and 98 a guest.

4. jashar

jashar Thread Starter

Any assistance would be appreciated. No matter how dumb it might sound

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    From the 98 can you see the XP and its shared folders? If so, give write access to at least one of those folders and use the 98 to copy files over to the XP.

That doesn't answer your question, but it would get files transferred. I know nothing about serial connections, so can't be of any real help. One thing that bothered me at first--I thought you needed a special "cross-over" serial cable for this, but since you said you have data transferring, I guess that's what you're using. By transferring, you mean received as well as sent, right?

6. jashar

jashar Thread Starter

Yes there is a active connection between PC's but you can only set up a host and guest on this kind of connection. So the host can share its files but the guest can't.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

However, unless they've changed the capability of DCC recently, you can copy files in either direction.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/393953

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice