1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Direct Connect Works Wireless Doesn't

Discussion in 'Networking' started by petersend, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. petersend

petersend Thread Starter

I have a laptop running Win98 SE. I have a D-Link PCMCIA Ethernet card which works fine. When I switch to a D-Link AirPlus G PCMCIA card I can see the wireless network but I cannot connect to anything. The Link light is lit, Act light only goes on when running the D-Link utility to measure signal strength, etc. the link quality and signal strength are > 90%.

ipconfig shows a valid IP address but pinging anything I get "Destination host unreachable."

I tried the wireless card on a WinXP laptop and it works fine.

Any help/suggestions is appreciated.

d

2. 5mi11er

5mi11er

Do you have the drivers needed for the Dlink card for win98? I'm thinking you must if the Dlink utilites are working.

You don't by chance leave the wired connection on while attempting to use wireless? Unplug the wired connection if you did.

It is possible the two NIC drivers are conflicting keeping the wireless card from working completely...

3. petersend

petersend Thread Starter

Yes I have the drivers and installed them as you guessed.

When I try the wireless connection I always remove the wired PCMCIA card.

My only thought is to reinstall the OS but I hate to go through all that - and the fact that I have a very low chance of actually finding the CD in my pile of junk.

d

4. 5mi11er

5mi11er

Well, before reinstalling the OS, I'd try removing the devices, driver sets and devices from "device manager", reboot then plug the wireless card in and install the drivers...

But, unless you've copied the whole CD to the hard drive, don't you need the CD to properly install the network drivers anyway?

5. petersend

petersend Thread Starter

Tried this and no difference. I even tried inserting the Wireless card into a different PCMCIA slot. It caused the drivers to be loaded again but then the card didn't work at all. Moved the card back to he original slot I was using and it could receive the wireless signal again but the PC still wouldn't talk to it.

I was using the ethernet PCMCIA card for several years nad that installed the necessary drivers. I actually found my CD but am reluctant to re-install until I understand what is happening.

Thanks for the suggestions.

d

6. 5mi11er

5mi11er

You've totally blown away all things networking, completely, from the box, then re-inserted the wireless card? Sometimes you've got to start over from as clean a slate as you can. If that doesn't work, then reinstalling the OS is really your only shot at success.

Basically, the network drivers aren't talking to the wireless drivers correctly, or you'd be able to connect by now. Have you tried pinging this laptop from another box? If that works, then definitely, the drivers are messed up. If it doesn't work, neither should the box be able to ask for and recieve a DHCP address.

Either way, the drivers are hosed; you want a better explaination than that, you'll have to talk to the engineers that wrote the drivers in the first place.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273972

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice