Direct Connect

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

zameroth

I have two computers one new one old and I'm trying to transfer the larger files using the direct connection app incorperated with 98se between the two computers. Every time I atempt to do so which ever computer is the guest gives me a message that there is no connection. I'm using a new parallel cable to link them together and have no other money flow to purchace new equipment. Help please!

I've never used a parallel cable, but I've used Direct
Connect with a "Null Modem Cable". It connects to
the serial ports, has two connectors on each end,
one DB9 (9 pin), one DB25 (25 pin), so it will connect
to either COM1 or COM2 on both computers.

They're not very expensive. :)

zameroth

I aready have the cable for parallel to parallel and I followed the web site but still have no connection.

If I remember right in your machine bios, both computers have to have bi directional enabled on the lpt1 port or they can't communicate.

Are you using a regular parallel cable or a null modem, a regular parallell won't work correctly because you will have your transfer pins on one wire and your recieve pins on another

Regular parallel Null Modem
Comp 1 XXTXXRXXX XXTXXRXXX
Comp 2 XXTXXRXXX XXRXXTXXX

T being Transfer, R being recieve, btw, thats just an example to convey they idea and not meant to be taken as how the pins actually are ordered. If I'm wrong about this anyone please feel free to put me in my place, I'm on here to learn as much as to help.

You're describing the difference between a straight
serial cable and a null modem cable. Both use the
serial ports (com1 or com2).

A parallel cable uses the parallel (printer) LPT port...

have you gotten it to work yet?? it is pretty simple, works similar to the null modem cable. only thing i remember is to make sure that you have ipx protocal installed on both.

ipx/spx Some type of network protocal. I let some one that knows more explain it if you need it.

zameroth

In the link submited by brianF above they didn't show that protocal as a requirement but I added it and I still have no connection.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online