1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Direct connection between two computers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by breakerbellz, Apr 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. breakerbellz

breakerbellz Thread Starter

I know this question has already been answered (several times, probably), but after attempting to follow the directions, I'm still having trouble. I'm trying to connect my old computer to my new one, in order to transfer a ton of pictures, videos (I'm a vidder), music and word docs, as well as hopefully some programs, although I'm not sure if that's even possible.

I mentioned it to a techie guy and he gave me a cable, said to hook the two computers to each other, and the wizard would take me through the steps of creating a network. It sounded fairly simple. I went through the wizard, but on both the new computer (guest, right?) and the old one (host?), it's telling me there is no incoming connection on the network page. Is it not recognizing that there's a cable connecting the two towers?

I'm sorry, I don't have the slightest idea what kind of cable it was that he gave me. It looks sort of like an old school phone cord, except the plastic end bit is larger. There's only one port on the back of either tower that will fit a thing like that, so I'm assuming I've got it plugged into the right place, at least.

Can anyone give me any advice, please? Preferably in language that a computer noob can understand, because if it doesn't involve video and picture editing, I'm clueless. Thanks in advance!

2. Sponsor

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Is the OLD computer running Windows XP or Vista or 7, 32-bit or 64-bit?

Is the NEW computer running Windows XP or Vista or 7, 32-bit or 64-bit?

----------------------------------------------------------

Programs cannot simply be transferred from an old computer to a new computer.

They will need to be reinstalled in the new computer - if they're compatible with the Windows version in the new computer.

4. breakerbellz

Old computer: Windows XP, 2.01 GHz, 384 MB RAM (yeah, it's old and slow)

New computer: Windows XP, 2.20 GHz, 1.0 GB RAM (that's a little better, yes?)

32 or 64 bit? I have no idea, I haven't thought about that sort of thing since Nintendo.

As far as the program transfer vs. reinstallation, that's fine. I wasn't sure if there was some way to get them installed on the new computer without original disks. If not, I'll just have to do without until I can purchase each one again, as I no longer have the disks. :(

Does having my OS information mean you can tell me why the towers aren't communicating with each other?

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I personally have never transferred my personal data from one XP computer to another XP computer in that manner, so hopefully this site will be helpful to you:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-xp/help/setup/move-files-and-settings-to-new-computer

-------------------------------------------------

One reason why your "old" computer is slow is because it has only 384 MB of RAM.

Judging by its processor speed, it's my guess it supports up to 1024 MB(1 GB) or 2048 MB(2 GB) of RAM.

The same goes for the "new" computer.

I could tell you for sure if I knew what their brand names and model names and model numbers are.

-------------------------------------------------

6. breakerbellz

My problem is, I can't seem to get a network created with the cable I'm using. I have no idea if it is the correct type of cable or not. The towers, which are currently linked to one another using this cable, still don't seem to recognize that they are connected. This being the case, the steps given in the link you posted above do not work for me.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Like I already said, I've never used that method.

I keep all my personal data burned and verified in CD-R's and DVD-R's, so copying it to a "new" computer is a pretty straight-forward process for me.

8. breakerbellz

Thank you; you've been spectacularly unhelpful.

Does anyone have any information on what I'm trying to do here: setting up a network between two computers, using a direct cable, so that one can access files on the other? Do you know why it would not recognize that the two computers are connected?

Here's what it says on the cord the tech guy gave me:

PureNet E335253 UTP 4PR 23 AWG CMR 75C C( UL )US Verified (UL) Category 6 TIA/EIA-568-B.2-1 06/11

That's pure gibberish to me, and Google returned no results, but maybe it'll make sense to one of you experts.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Do the ethernet LEDs light on each PC when you connect the cable?

If so, with the cable connected show for each PC ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
    Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1048229